PDA

View Full Version : Question for Verizon DSL Users

Peter Stahl
11-17-2008, 8:43 PM
Does the Verizon Internet Security Suite run in the background via the dsl or is it something that has to be downloaded to the PC? Just found out it was on our bill but I never asked for it or downloaded it as far as I know. Is anyone using it? If so do you think it's worth the $4.99/month?

Curt Harms
11-17-2008, 9:24 PM
and there's no security suite charge that I know of. Perhaps I better take a look at the bill next month:o.

Joe Pelonio
11-17-2008, 10:21 PM
and there's no security suite charge that I know of. Perhaps I better take a look at the bill next month:o.
Same here, but I do sort of remember that being offered and I declined, but it was several years ago.

Jim Becker
11-18-2008, 8:00 AM
I would not use an ISP provided "security suite", especially one that uses McAfee or Norton...which are pigs. And $5 a month is $60 which is more than I paid for the ZoneAlarm suite which is also usable on three machines. ($50)

Brian Effinger
11-18-2008, 12:30 PM
I thought I had signed up for that a year ago when I got Verizon Fios, but when I called them about a problem a month or so ago, I also asked about it, and was told that I don't have it. I am glad I wasn't paying for it, because I never used it and I definitely don't think it is worth 5 bucks a month.

Peter Stahl
11-20-2008, 4:16 PM
My wife called to get 2 weeks credit for our phone service which we lost for 2 weeks. While she had a Human on the phone she asked about the Internet Security Suite. Lady on the phone says I see it was cancelled and can only credit 3 months worth as we should have noticed that they screwed our bill up and should have called sooner. I knew I shouldn't have been getting charged for it but the wife does the bills so she didn't know. Saw a bill when we had phone problems. Guess I better look at them for a few months after I get a new service provider, they are tricky now.

Jim Becker
11-20-2008, 7:33 PM
A lot of the telecommunication providers have that three month rule for recurring billing "errors"...ATT wireless does I know for a fact.

Lee Schierer
11-21-2008, 12:22 PM
I believe we were offered a virus protection program from Verizon when we got their DSL. I decided to keep the system we have (F-Prot) as we've never had a problem and it doesn't seem to tax our systems with a lot of overhead.

Matt Meiser
11-21-2008, 1:26 PM
AVGFree is, as the name implies, Free and it works great for me. I use the paid version at work after a nightmare with Norton 360 its even better--worth the cost in my opinion because it lets you uninstall features like the search engine link scanner which I think is a performance hog. You can disable it in Free, but you get a warning that it is disabled in the system tray.

Peter Stahl
11-21-2008, 4:15 PM
I believe we were offered a virus protection program from Verizon when we got their DSL. I decided to keep the system we have (F-Prot) as we've never had a problem and it doesn't seem to tax our systems with a lot of overhead.

Lee,

Apparently I did too but the little woman didn't know we were billed for it until recently. I use the free AVG.

Peter Stahl
11-21-2008, 4:16 PM
AVGFree is, as the name implies, Free and it works great for me. I use the paid version at work after a nightmare with Norton 360 its even better--worth the cost in my opinion because it lets you uninstall features like the search engine link scanner which I think is a performance hog. You can disable it in Free, but you get a warning that it is disabled in the system tray.

Matt,

I use the free AVG and haven't had any problems (knock on wood) yet.