PDA

View Full Version : Needing a little refinishing help here ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
06-01-2004, 12:55 PM
I'm starting a project on something I have never done before (so what's different about that?) and really need some advice. My neighbor gave me an old Singer sewing machine that they've had in the garage for years. They evidently acquired it from someone else who was going to throw it away. I want to try to refinish it to make a small table stand for my SWMBO, but am unsure where to start. Here's my plan, and please let me know if I'm going about it all wrong.

I took the verneer (sp?) off the top and it looks like oak underneath. The balance looks like stained solid wood. I have a paste stripper to use, a plastic scraper, some stiff nylon brushes and mineral spirits for the end. I have rubber gloves to use, and plan on working outside so the fumes shouldn't be too bad. The can of stripper says to wipe on. leave and scrap off. Sounds simple. Once that's done, I'll be asking for finishing help later. Thanks in advance for any advice you can send my way.

Chris Padilla
06-01-2004, 2:00 PM
No help, Ron, but to say that my parents have a stand/machine just like yours. It houses several of the 100s of potted plants my mother keeps around her house.

I would first clean it well with ordinary soap and water (Murphy's Oil Soap?) to get gunk and grime off of it so you can inspect it more carefully.

I guess you don't plan to maintain its original finish...pretty bad off?

Wes Bischel
06-01-2004, 3:38 PM
Ron,
You didn't mention what kind of stripper you were using, but from experience most are messy. Old shower curtain is a good bet for protecting the surrounding surfaces - it can be tossed and they usually aren't slippery like drop cloths. The water based strippers I have seen all raise the grain - especially on an old dry piece, but this may have changed in recent years. I usually have stayed with the really nasty old solvent strippers like Zip-Strip.
Make sure you have lots of rags or paper towels and a good way to dispose of them. I use the bottom of a plastic milk bottle (cut down) to collect the used stripper from the plastic scraper. Also make sure your gloves are up to the task. Plain latex gloves can let the solvents from some strippers right through to your skin - even some of the "safe" strippers.
Once the bulk of the old finish is removed, use steel wool or a scotchbrite (or generic equal) and the stripper to get into the corners and deeper grain. Then make sure all of the stripper is removed - I never found the need to use mineral spirits, but I guess it wouldn't hurt as long as it doesn't react with the stripper.

Have fun and good luck, Wes

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
06-01-2004, 9:26 PM
My neighbor's wife does refinishing and says she'll guide me through it. I thought it would be a fun project to do and come out with a piece (hopefully) that my SWMBO will enjoy. If nothing else, it'll look good with the TV on it in the den! Thanks again.