PDA

View Full Version : Fine woodworking....again

Rick Potter
11-17-2008, 3:38 PM
Went to the daughters house for dinner last nite. Sat down to eat, and noticed that one of her one year old, fancy upholstered chairs had an arm hanging off to the side. When I asked her about it, she said it had been that way for a while, and she was waiting for her husband to fix it. He has a nice shop (I know, it used to be my house), and likes to do woodworking when he has time.

She asked if I would like to fix it, and I told her I would but didn't want to step on his toes, and get him upset. She said no problem, he would love it if I could figure out how to fix it. Somewhat inflated, and strutting about, while preening myself, I told her how difficult it is to take a chair apart, and get it reglued, but she came to the right man.

After dinner I tossed it in the car and took it home. When I went to fix it, I found it was a knock down, assemble it yourself unit, and was just missing a 1/4" X 20 bolt. The whole thing is held together with bolts, not a dowel or glue joint on it. Took about five minutes to fix it, most of which was hunting down the right bolt.

Another fine woodworking project completed.

Rick Potter

Bill Houghton
11-17-2008, 3:53 PM
then it qualifies as fine woodworking. Plain steel, no.

Geoff Potter
11-17-2008, 5:06 PM
Never mind, your daughter thinks you walk on water. priceless!!

Dewey Torres
11-17-2008, 5:15 PM
Par for the course with modern furniture.

One of the leg rests on my Lay z Boy reclining couch broke in half and when I took it apart I found 3/8 inch particle board. The cabinet grade plywood I used for the fix wasn't what I would consider fine woodworking but it was ten times better than what it had. Now I guess I can wait for the others to break so I can again be the hero.:rolleyes:

Heather Thompson
11-17-2008, 5:19 PM
My question is this, the husband would love it if you could figure out how to fix it, and he is a woodworker with a shop! I think he should be strapped to his tablesaw and thrown into the river, or at the very least given a good razzing for this one. I would have great fun at Thanksgiving with this. :D I know, I have a nasty streak in me.

Heather

Dewey Torres
11-17-2008, 5:26 PM
My question is this, the husband would love it if you could figure out how to fix it, and he is a woodworker with a shop! I think he should be strapped to his tablesaw and thrown into the river, or at the very least given a good razzing for this one. I would have great fun at Thanksgiving with this one. :D I know, I have a nasty streak in me.

Heather

Heather,
Nasty indeed!
Maybe wait for the nut to loosen again (which it probably will), and then tell him about the 5 min fix.

Peter Quinn
11-17-2008, 6:56 PM
I fixed a 'Buzz Light-year' tablea while back whose leg had become compromised after being used too many times as a step stool by my wife's bosses five year old. The whole thing is painted bright blue, made from some generic chinese white wood that failed along a sap pocket about five inches from the bottom of a leg.

A few clamps, a long dowel and some 5 ton epoxy, and a bit of blue nail polish later the repair was strong and nearly invisible, and a five year old who had decorated said table with the finest stickers from his collection was thrilled.

Sometimes not-so-fine wood working can be very rewarding.

John Schreiber
11-18-2008, 2:00 PM
. . . Sometimes not-so-fine wood working can be very rewarding.
Very true. Sometimes "customer" satisfaction for repairs like these is higher than work I am really proud of.

Bill White
11-18-2008, 2:11 PM
That way she'll still think you're a hero.
Bill

Steve Kohn
11-18-2008, 9:49 PM
Challenge your SIL to find the repair. Then don't tell him about the missing bolt.

Gary Herrmann
11-18-2008, 11:52 PM
I fixed a 'Buzz Light-year' tablea while back whose leg had become compromised after being used too many times as a step stool by my wife's bosses five year old. The whole thing is painted bright blue, made from some generic chinese white wood that failed along a sap pocket about five inches from the bottom of a leg.

A few clamps, a long dowel and some 5 ton epoxy, and a bit of blue nail polish later the repair was strong and nearly invisible, and a five year old who had decorated said table with the finest stickers from his collection was thrilled.

Sometimes not-so-fine wood working can be very rewarding.

Absolutely. I just repaired a Superman action figure who's arm had come off with a drill, a cut down finish nail and epoxy. My son was most impressed.

Rick Fisher
11-19-2008, 1:00 AM
Well.. We have 2 knobs missing on the kitchen cabinets. For about 18 months now..

I .. just never get around to it. :)