PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking in American conference experiences?

whit richardson
11-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Anyone who attended this conference care to share some experiences? I attended and had to say first kudo's to Popular Woodworking for just pulling it off. Great job overall, really.

Overall I'd have to say that the Hands on classes/clinics were very uneven in quality and didn't always follow class the descriptions. That being said how often do you get a chance to have Frank Klausz tell you your chopping a mortise wrong personally? Popwood will be getting a lot of feedback from all of us who were there so next years events will be tuned and tweaked more I'd expect.

Others???

Ralph Barhorst
11-17-2008, 5:17 PM
I really enjoyed it. I maxed out on the sessions which did not leave me enough time to visit the vendors.

Berea is a nice location and I agree that Popular Woodworking did a fantastic job organizing the event.

whit richardson
11-18-2008, 9:32 AM
Good to hear. Weren't there a bunch of other folks from here that went to this conference? It will be interesting to see what Popwood does after this first one.

mike holden
11-18-2008, 9:52 AM
Whit -
It was a handtool conference, so I put my report (with lots of pics) into the neanderthal forum here.
It exceeded my expectations, but then I realized that with 300 of my closest friends attending, it would not be a very hands on experience.
The hands-on seminar I did attend - the saw sharpening, run by Mike Wenzloff - was beyond great! Mike W made me believe I could sharpen a saw - and we all got saw kits to take home!!!! Have not had a look at mine yet, I flew down, so had a friend who drove, bring it back for me. I will get to drool on it Saturday. I believe it is a panel saw with a special etching commemorating the event.
Mike

whit richardson
11-18-2008, 1:33 PM
Mike I was in that class too. I see the posting Updates from Berea which I'll post my thoughts and experiences there instead of another thread.

On the saw sharpening while really good I still wouldn't know what fleam is unless I looked it up.