PDA

View Full Version : questions about combination disc/belt sanders

Matt Day
11-17-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm planning on buying a combination disc/belt sander very shortly, but I'm not sure which to get.

I was originally looking at the basic Grizzly one:
http://www.grizzlyindustrial.com/products/Combination-Sander-6-x-48-Belt-9-Disc-Z-Series/G1014ZIt seems like a pretty basic, but solid machine. It seems on this style the cast iron table need to be moved from the belt to the disc.

Then I started to look at what I would get for a little more money. It looks like most of them come with enclosed bases, with would take up space IMO that I don't have, and I'm not really sure what more you get (except in some cases a 12" disc).

Grizzly also has this style:
http://www.grizzlyindustrial.com/products/Combination-Sander-6-x-48-Belt-12-Disc-1725-RPM/G1276
The obvious differences between this and the 1014 are no stand and 2 cast iron work tables.

But are these things worth double the price over the 1014?

There also are basic combo sanders from Delta, Jet, Craftsman, I looked at.

What would you suggest?

, and saw this Shop Fox.

Don Morris
11-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Matt,

Did a lot of research on just such items a couple months ago to replace a burnt out small belt/disc sander so there should be threads on this if you look. My finding was that either of the Grizzly's or the Jet 9" disc grinder would fit the bill. The Jet is in the same size/category and has a 4" dust port which a couple people liked for dust control. You have to decide whether you could live with a 9" sander vs. 12". The Delta and Craftsman as I remember received some poor reports unless you could find older versions with little wear at a bargain price. I decided to hold on purchasing anything for a while and live with my ROS. In my hobby shop I just couldn't justify the bigger machines, although in my dreams.....

Jim Becker
11-17-2008, 3:16 PM
I have the G1276 and it's a very nice product...worth what they charge for it, IMHO. That said, I wish I would have bought an edge sander instead just due to the way I use the machine when I use it, that is. I've never used the disk. Well, that's not true. I used it once when it was just more convenience for something small as I didn't need to pull the machine out of the corral to do the quick job.

Curt Harms
11-17-2008, 3:33 PM
Mine is from the late '90's but it doesn't look like they've changed much. It's a good basic machine. 3 things to think about:

1) It's pretty loud. I don't know why, It's rollers and belts. It could be bad bearings I suppose but there's no play.

2) The factory dust collection for the belt in pretty inadequate. I rigged a register boot in place of the 2" port on the bottom of the belt with a 4" hose attachment. That works pretty well but I can't lay the belt flat, it hits my dust collection boot.

3) If you use the table on the belt (like Jim, I've barely used the disc) you can't slide stock left to right--it hits the guard for the disk. There's a small metal ledge affair halfway up the belt for sanding long stock but it's not very big.

Mine has done what I've asked it to do and I don't use it enough to be worth upgrading it.