PDA

View Full Version : Maple Rough Out

Steve Schlumpf
11-17-2008, 11:32 AM
In response to Brian Brown’s request for folks to post in-progress turnings - just thought I would throw this out there for everyone before I put it in the DNA. Turned this yesterday and thought I would try a different form.

Maple, 11 ˝” diameter x 5 ˝” high by 1 1/8” thick. No sanding, no finish and covered with small shavings as I had it buried until ready for the DNA.

101297 101298 101299

What do you think?

Comments, critiques & opinions are welcome!

Thanks for looking!

robert hainstock
11-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Looks like a nice change from the norm. What do you call that form?:):)
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
11-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Bob - I call it thick!

Actually was thinking more along the lines of a Hawaiian style Calabash.

robert hainstock
11-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Bob - I call it thick!

Actually was thinking more along the lines of a Hawaiian style Calabash.
Sort of like a puinkin?

Mike Golka
11-17-2008, 2:22 PM
Looks good so far.

Bernie Weishapl
11-17-2008, 3:53 PM
Steve I like the form. Can't wait to see it finished.

Mitchell Cholewinski
11-17-2008, 4:51 PM
Steve
So far it looks real good, when you finish it and post, remind us that this the one we are looking at today. Nice work Steve. Mitch

Ron Lynch
11-17-2008, 5:05 PM
Steve,
I really like the form, I mean I really like it. I like it so much I made my own a couple months ago. Although mine is cherry and is finished they bear quite a resemblance.

David Drickhamer
11-17-2008, 7:00 PM
That form is going to be a winner Steve. Looking forward to seeing it when it's done.
Dave

Bill Bolen
11-17-2008, 7:21 PM
Love the form Steve. But you reallllllly need to be extra cautious with the overhang of the rim. How would you get a handful of M&M's out? You might have to eat them one at a time...that is almost un-patriotic....Bill...

Steve Schlumpf
11-17-2008, 7:27 PM
William - are you kidding me? The lip would insure that the M&Ms would roll right into the palm of your hand! LOL

Leo Van Der Loo
11-17-2008, 7:32 PM
Steve I think the round squat form can be gorgeous, I have have made quite a few in that kind of shape, and they are one of my favorite shapes, some pic's here for appetites :D

Don Carter
11-17-2008, 7:36 PM
Steve:
That one looks great. Love the form. I can't wait to see it finished.
BTW, I really do like to see the in-progress photos.

All the best.

Don

PS Thanks for your help with my new thread posting problem. I still haven't figured it out.

Keith Burns
11-17-2008, 9:42 PM
Steve, I really like the form on this. I look forward to seeing it complete and what, if anything, you do with the rim.

Terry Achey
11-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Cool bowl, Steve. Kinda reminds me of a 12th century grogg bowl :D. Looking forward to seeing the fiished product.

Terry

Eugene Wigley
11-18-2008, 5:32 AM
Steve, I like the form and the thick walls on the bowl. Thanks for posting the work in process. I have never seen green bowls that someone else rough turned. The timing isa great as I am starting to turn green wood now. I can't wait to see the same bowls finished.

Jeff Nicol
11-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Steve, It reminds me of a southwest style pot. The small dark patches of ambrosia add just the right amount of character! I better get in the shop, I am getting the itch! It was 15 degrees here this morning and I had to warm up the shop first!

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
11-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Yup - great day for turning!

We are experiencing lake effect snow showers and when they hit you can expect rapid accumulation! Started off the morning with close to the same temps as you and shoveled most of the driveway so my wife could get to work. Gave up before completed as the snow was just dumping!

Looks like today I get to start up the snowblower for the first time this year! Oh, what fun - but once finished I can go turn a hollow form. And that IS fun!