PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
11-17-2008, 9:24 AM
17 Nov 2008

Good Morning,
The temps have finally gotten cooler here and we've started up the woodstove. Sure is a nice view along with a nice warm heat. Best investment we made in years. This years firewood was all from trees that were already down. I prefer to get wood from recently dead trees or ones that are already down but still in very good shape.

Been working a lot at the day job working through issues with a software upgrade I did about 2 weeks ago. Some systems liked it ok while other begin pitching a fit about it. Stuck in their ways I guess and didn't like the change. Oh well.

Making good progress on the kitchen table project. The top will be 40" wide by 72" long and the owner wants many of the natural wood defects to remain since the wood came from his dad (after his dad passed away) and has no desire for the table to be glass perfect. These folks like a bit on the leave it natural look and this table will be a nice table. I will be using some of his Red Oak from his dad's place for accents in the top to patch holes in the wood as well as in the legs and the table skirt. I have the top glued together in 2 halves and I've started the glueup of the table legs. The leg glueup will be done today and I will start machining the mortise and tenons for the legs and skirting tomorrow. I will also glue the two table top halves together tomorrow and have it ready for sanding and flattening by the time we get back from family Thanksgiving.

Well...that's it for me.
So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Joe Mioux
11-17-2008, 9:41 AM
nothing woodworking this weekend, I lost my mom a week ago last Friday and we had the funeral last Tuesday. Therefore, this weekend was sort of a catch up and rest period.

joe

Ken Fitzgerald
11-17-2008, 9:52 AM
Joe.......My condolences for the loss of your Mom.

I glued up some pen blanks Friday night. Went to trim them....Uh Oh! I don't have a guide shaft to fit that diameter. So I spent Saturday running around town looking for a 12" disk sander. NONE available locally.

Sunday, yardwork.

Today I'm stiff, sore and still tired.:o

Jim Becker
11-17-2008, 9:53 AM
Condolences to you and your family, Joe.

The weekend turned out pretty much as I thought it would...horsie things on Saturday with all the lessons and the show (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=969846&postcount=9) on Sunday consuming a big chunk of the day. I did get into the shop yesterday afternoon to install the buck transformer to lower the voltage going to my slider, but have another issue to troubleshoot before I get back to the various projects on my list.

Maurice Ungaro
11-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Joe,
Sorry about your mom. It's tough to go through, and we're never ready for it when it happens.

Finally made a clamp rack and got the clutter off the floor. Also made a small folding outfeed table for the TS.
Now need to go plane 75 bdf of wood!

Matt Meiser
11-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Joe, my condolences as well.

I got the carcase of my dresser project glued up by Saturday evening. Sunday morning my wife and I went out and hid it in the corner of my spray booth under some sheets and a couple of pieces of plywood so my daugther could come out to the shop Sunday. While she played on the computer I milled all the stock for the face frame and door frames for a vanity for her bathroom. Then she played at her workbench (apparently its been repurposed as a McDonalds drive thru window) and I built the face frame and got it glued to the cabinet. The vanity is a demo for our woodworking club so I only have to make a small bit of progress every month for 5-6 months. But due to work time constraints I think I'm going to try to get the doors completed tonight even though they aren't needed until late December.

Ralph Barhorst
11-17-2008, 11:18 AM
I attended the Woodworkers in America conference in Berea, KY. I went to 10 different sessions in 2-1/2 days.

The neanders would love it as it was totally about hand tools. There must have been 500 people in attendance. My only criticism was that there was not enough time to see all of the hand tool suppliers who were selling their wares at the conference. I only managed to spend $50.

Jim O'Dell
11-17-2008, 11:20 AM
After working 8 to 12 at the real job, I finished laying the tile in the "Pink Room". 5 hours Saturday, about 7 on Sunday. Now I need to clean it all off, get rid of the trash, and do grouting next weekend. After that, cut, paint, and install the base board. LOML is going to paint the crown molding, I think. (I hope!!:D) My knees and my back are glad to be back to work today!! Jim.

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Joe - my most sincere condolences to you and your family.

As for my weekend, I actually did get to the shop - albeit briefly. My sons and daughter got into the "what's this tool/what's that tool", so I gave them a mini tour, and then had them help me biscuit join some boards together and glue them up. We ran them through the planer on Sunday. That's about all the sawdust I made (but they loved the DC...."the big vacuum", as my daughter called it).

On a more serious note....I found out that the local hardwood supplier I wanted to try out closes at 11:30 on saturdays :mad: and they're closed Sundays. I really was hoping to get started in on a desk project, so I went to HD and then Lowes and picked through their dimensioned lumber and plywood. Found some OK stuff at each of them, and did manage to pick through and find a single good 1/4" birch/maple plywood panel. The 3/4" stuff all sorta sucked. Amazing how many of them had cracked/missing veneer, and filler used on them. I'll wait to find a better piece, so I'll see if I can take a morning this week to go wood shopping.

Jacob Mac
11-17-2008, 1:11 PM
Joe, you have my condolences as well.

I installed a new storm door, and burned a ton of leaves and branches. Althought I still have more to burn.

I also got to play Rock Band with my 6 year old. That was a lot of fun.

Steve Clardy
11-17-2008, 2:12 PM
Sorry for your loss Joe.

Worked in shop saturday on cabinets.

Sunday was house day. I got half of the new ceiling up in the living room.
Boy my neck doesn't take that looking up anymore.

Richard Lewis
11-17-2008, 2:21 PM
Saturday was football and hockey after a couple hours of general cleanup. Sunday, put up a new ceiling fan, painted 3 doors, hung new curtain rods, waxed the new workbench, changed the glow plugs in my wifes car, made some little tool storage holders, cleaned up the shop...

All in preparation for the next project! ;)

Anthony Whitesell
11-17-2008, 3:05 PM
I busted my buns Saturday morning to get the coffee table assembled to present to my MIL for her birthday at dinner Saturday evening. It's funny how you never realize how large or heavy a piece is until it's assemebled. The coffee table is 47"x17X16" and takes up most of the workspace. Now I have to disassemble it, sand, and finish it. As soon as I figure out where I'm going to lay out all the pieces for finishing.

Sunday the final move out of stuff from the basement to the shed, and the move in of the tractor for wintertime prep (attach and lube the snow blower) happened. As well as moving the tools (expect the planer) to their final home. Now that I have a little more elbow room, I can't wait to get these projects cranked out. I hope to post pictures soon.

Chris Schumann
11-17-2008, 10:34 PM
My bandsaw riser block finally arrived last week, and I got it installed on Saturday. I'm very anxious to cut into the basswood chunks from my neighbor to make carving blanks. They should stack much more nicely.