PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a 18ga nailer - Poll

Ken Frohnert
11-17-2008, 6:52 AM
I am looking for a good 18ga nailer for general hobby work around my shop - there are a number of refurbished ones on the "bay" for a reasonable price. I really like the Paslode T200 18 gauge - I have seen that locally in the hardware store but have seen some negative comments about them ceasing to work but I am not sure if that is a widespread problem or just isolated incidents. Thanks for voting

Karl Brogger
11-17-2008, 9:52 AM
If you don't need to run any nails over 1" the Senco LS1 is a spectacular nail gun. Its one of thier old designs.
http://www.senco.com/images_t/LS1-s-Low.jpg

I recently destroyed a pin nailer, I've been looking at the Senco Finish Pro 25XP
http://www.senco.com/images_t/FiP25XP_sWEB.jpg

John Callahan
11-17-2008, 11:41 AM
If it were me I'd consider an 18 ga. nailer that will handle 2" nails. Shouldn't cost much more and down the road the extra length may come in handy. I've got the Hitachi NT50AE2 which replaced a NT50AE that walked off a jobsite. Both were/are great guns; powerful, light and comfortable and no misfires ............. except when you miss the slot in a metal door frame :o. Check out Reconditioned Sales, Inc. for recon versions- may save you some money.

Ken Frohnert
11-18-2008, 6:52 AM
Seeing that the PC was leading by a decent margin I checked it out yesterday at Lowes. It looked well made - it was hard to get the feel for the gun since they had it chained to the display with a short chain. I hate when they do that with a tool since it really makes it difficult to get a good look.

Rick Fisher
11-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Grex has an 18ga. which isnt too expensive.

Rob Russell
11-18-2008, 12:51 PM
I have the Porter Cable BN200A and am glad that I have the ability to shoot 2" pins. There have been times when the 1 1/4" would not have been long enough. Think about installing moulding. I needed the 2" length but wanted the smaller hole vs. the larger hole left by my 15 ga DA250B.

Von Bickley
11-18-2008, 2:17 PM
When in doubt, go with Senco.....:)

Chuck Tringo
11-18-2008, 5:38 PM
Ridgid FTW

Yance Kudzu
11-18-2008, 5:39 PM
I have owned most of the ones you listed at one time or another... the best hands down is the Senco SLP20XP Brad Nailer. My second favorite is the Senco FP25XP, the only time I use it is when I need more than 1 5/8 inch which isn't all that often.

Jay Jolliffe
11-18-2008, 5:42 PM
I've got 3. The PC, Senco & Hitachi. I like the PC for the 2" brads & the other 2 for the rest. The PC I have was about 5yrs old & needed to be fixed. They couldn't fix it to shoot the 2" brads. The striker wouldn't come back far enough to catch the brad.....So after 5 years Porter Cable told the place that tried to fix it to give me a new one...I was surprised that they did that after being well beyond the warranty :)