PDA

View Full Version : Delta quick release splitter.

Gregg Feldstone
11-17-2008, 6:08 AM
Got my unisaw 4 years ago and shortly after got a merlin quick release splitter. It works great except you can't bevel the blade more than 35deg.
Never routed out the bottom of the throat plate for clearance.
Broke my throat plate two weeks ago and installed a zero clearance phenolic.....same problem with clearance...looked into the price of the "Biesemeyer" quick release splitter again and it's now up to $170.
Did some intense research and found out Delta makes a $40 version of the Bies. Spent 2 hours on the phone to find out from Delta that both the Delta and Bessy should work without hitting any part of the throat plate.
Can anyone comment on this???
If this is true, I'd like to know why the $40 Delta was so hard to find and is not even listed as an accessory quick release splitter on Delta's website....just the $170 Bessy. Must be the $170!!!

Fred Hargis
11-17-2008, 7:36 AM
Spent 2 hours on the phone to find out from Delta that both the Delta and Bessy should work without hitting any part of the throat plate.
Can anyone comment on this???
If this is true, I'd like to know why the $40 Delta was so hard to find and is not even listed as an accessory quick release splitter on Delta's website....just the $170 Bessy. Must be the $170!!!
I can...on my Unisaw with a Bies snap in, I have the full range of motion for bevel cutting with no interference using the factory insert. BTW, it's a right tilt saw. My Bies splitter is apparently the higher priced one, I paid about $100 for it 6 or so years ago. Didn't even know there was a $40 model available......

Jim Becker
11-17-2008, 7:46 AM
The Biesemeyer snap-in splitter I had on the Jet LT cabinet saw I used to own did not interfere with the bevel range in any way. Cost at the time was about $145 or so and I bought it directly from Beisemeyer when they still had their own phones, etc.

The Delta splitter you ask about wasn't something they promoted heavily. I could be wrong, but I believe it was an accessory associated with the Delta UniGuard overarm guard. Aside from cost, the one benefit it had over the Beisemeyer version is that the Delta would work with a thin kerf blade. I've never actually seen the Delta quick change splitter, however, and that includes in a retail listing.

Jim Kountz
11-17-2008, 8:07 AM
I think Jims right here, I have the Delta gaurd and the splitter came with it. I too have never seen it advertised anywhere by itself.

Jeffrey Makiel
11-17-2008, 9:09 AM
When I ordered the Delta splitter for my Unisaw, it was like ordering a replacement part for the Unigard versus an accessory item. The splitter came with all the mounting hardware and was simple to install. It works well, easily removable and re-installed, and functions at any blade angle setting.

As a personal preference, I removed the anit-kickback pawls to allow for more clearance when using push sticks on narrow stock.

-Jeff :)