PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic sign source

Bob Cole
11-17-2008, 1:19 AM
I was looking to duplicate the sign below and was curious if there was a source for the arched sign with notch or if the original sign company created with sheet of acrylic.

The sign is 4" wide by 4" at the top of the arch. The acrylic looks to be about 5/8" thick with the notch leaving about 1/8".

Frank Corker
11-17-2008, 5:05 AM
Bob I can't answer your question on who made it or where to get it, but creating one of those would be a doddle to do. Your laser would cut cast acrylic sheet like that without even blinking! Take off one of the signs, put it on your scanner, scan at 300dpi, import it into corel and use the polyline tool to go around which will create your cut line. The number can be rastered and filled with black acrylic from the back.

Mike Null
11-17-2008, 6:58 AM
Depending on how many you want your local plastics supplier could probably cut them for you. That's a little thick for my machine but you may be able to do it with 60 watts.

If I couldn't find any other way I'd do it with my bandsaw or router.

Are the numbers color filled or vinyl?

John Noell
11-17-2008, 1:57 PM
The number can be rastered and filled with black acrylic from the back.
That rather looks like frosted acrylic. If so, color-filling from the back does not come out very well in my limited experience. (I am still trying to find a use for the frosted I got to test.)

Scott Shepherd
11-17-2008, 4:25 PM
Looks like a custom job to me. Cut out acrylic, then they used a rotary engraving machine to cut the braille, and I would imagine the numbers are raised letters, so it all complies with ADA standards.

Bob Cole
11-17-2008, 11:26 PM
I haven't cut that thick with my laser, so would need to test and I would also need to flame polish the edges (guess I need to go study up on Frank's posts). I also wasn't sure how to cut out the notch for the small piece of rock/stone (which I think I could get at a local floor place or hardware store).

The back is painted a brown color that hides the adhesive and matches the wood.

The letters are cut out acrylic.

This sign is really small compared to other signs throughout the building. If I can duplicate this, it would allow me to do the other signage in the building.

Thanks for the help. I thought that it was probably shop made.

If you were going to make this sign from scratch, what would you charge? They only need two signs of this size now.

Frank Corker
11-18-2008, 4:54 AM
The notch that you are thinking of could actually be a second piece of acrylic. You could do this. See the front one. Possibly clear acrylic, engraved number on the back, infilled with black acrylic paint. Back piece, frosted acrylic. Cement the two together with acrylic glue which goes on like water. Jobs almost done. More than one way to skin a cat.

Scott Shepherd
11-18-2008, 4:35 PM
The number can't be on the back, it's a raised letter on the front to meet building codes for blind people and the braille needs to be on there as well. But I agree, you can certainly piece it together for the step. If it's only two of them, I can show you how to reproduce that braille as if it were done on a rotary engraver. PM me your email and I'll send you a file when I get a chance (might be a day or two).

My guess is that you're looking at a $40-50 sign (each) for that small of a quantity.