PDA

View Full Version : Raised Panel Router Bits

Scott C. Williams
11-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Question for those who use router raised panel cutters.

Which do you prefer. Panel bits with or without backcutter? Reason for your preference?

Anthony Anderson
11-17-2008, 12:46 AM
I prefer with backcutter, but I have both types. With the backcutter, you have to make sure your panel is flat. If you plan to use panel bit w/backcutters, the glued up panel shouldn't sit too long before milling. That gives the panel a chance to cup, which means that the backcutter will cut too much from the back of the panel, which will ruin the panel. The backcutter just eliminates a step. I raised two panels on a cherry bookshelf, and it worked out nicely. I prefer Freud bits. But I have a variety. Regards, Bill

Chip Lindley
11-17-2008, 1:46 AM
Most raised panel door design maintains the panel flush with the surface of the rails/stiles. If a panel raiser for 3/4" stock is used in a 3/4" frame, the panel will sit proud of the frame by about 1/8". The back cutter allows use of 3/4" stock instead of wasteful planing to 5/8". Some cabinet operations final sand both frame and panel together after assembly. Other than these considerations, depends on the effect you want, I suppose.

Jim Becker
11-17-2008, 7:49 AM
I prefer the Freud 2+2 (or their more recent design) cutters for panel work as they really cut cleanly. I do not use nor want to use an integral back-cutter...I'd rather handle that separately or vary the thickness of the panel to suit.

Jim Kountz
11-17-2008, 9:05 AM
I like the vertical bits myself however when doing an arch or cathedral top door I use a horizontal cutter with no back cutter. Something about having the wood "sandwiched" between two cutters bothers me although I realize its done all the time I just dont feel comfortable with it.

Anthony Anderson
11-17-2008, 9:47 AM
I have used the vertical raised panel bits once. I swore I would never use one again, and I haven't. You have to make verrry light, and many passes, to get the panel raised, at least I had to. Also, it became very scary a couple of times. Going with the grain, it was fine, but when I was cutting cross grain, it wanted to grab the grain a couple of times. With the vertical bits, you are removing material equal to the entire length (height, when inserted in the table) of the cutter, with each rotation. With a horizontal bit you are shearing the material away. I feel much safer using a horizontal bit, and I don't feel the cutter, or router for that matter, has to work as hard to get the job done. As Jim B. mentioned, the Freud 2+2 are very nice. I have a couple of those, with the backcutter. Verrry smooth cutting, and leaves a cut that really doesn't have to be sanded. If my panel is flat, then I prefer the backcutter. I feel it is really a nice feature. I initially didn't like the concept of the integrated backcutter when it first came out. I liked the idea of being able to adjust the relief cut on the back of the panel, so it would fit the frame the way I wanted it. but have since changed my mind after I used the Freuds with the backcutter. But that just goes to show you, different strokes for different folks. Some like backcutters, some don't. Some like verticle, some don't. Some just don't like horizontal all together. Some like horizontal w/ or w/o backcutter.

Best thing you could do, if you are trying to decide, is to find someone that has all of the various bits and try them out for yourself. See which one feels most comfortable, and safer for you. And then decide based on that, because each person's opinion will be different than your own. But you made a good choice, in that SMC is a good starting place. Regards, Bill

Bob Cooper
11-17-2008, 12:39 PM
i like the freud bits w/backcutter. I like the panels laying flat as many times i'm building panels that sit against the side of the cabinet (to cover the ends) and you can't have the back sit proud in that case. I'm sure i could cut the backside seperately and there are probably positives to this approach...i've just never tried it.

Frank Drew
11-17-2008, 12:48 PM
I've only used shaper cutters for panel raising, but on the matter of design, there's no reason not to start out with 5/8" material if that eliminates the back cutting step and having the panel flush is important to you.

But a 3/4" panel in 3/4" frame material, with the panel's field proud of the frame, actually looks pretty good -- it gives the raised panel more visual impact. I prefer it to having the field flush with the framing.