PDA

View Full Version : shop layout feedback

Robert Reece
11-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Anybody with sketchup, please take a look at the attached file and tell me what you think of the preliminary shop layout. You will have to unzip it - this was the only way I could upload it to sawmill. Make sure you display your Layers box so you can hide / unhide some of the layers (like exterior walls and such).

Most of the tools are on wheels so easy to move around (as long as I account for that in the dust collection layout). The jointer is not shown on wheels, but it is.

I haven't yet found a place for lumber storage, though I don't tend to keep a lot of lumber around (yet!).

I will post screenshots tomorrow, so those without Sketchup can have a look.

Thanks -Rob

Don Bullock
11-17-2008, 9:49 AM
Robert, the file won't work on my iMac. It may work on Windows computers. You could print it out and scan the printout to create a picture. The picture file could be attached just like any picture file on Sawmill Creek.

As for not allowing for lumber because you don't keep lumber around that may change. Finding space either in the shop or in another close location will be important. Even SWMBO is starting to understand why I have so much lumber "sitting around.";) She went with me the other day when I was looking for a board of maple for a specific project and saw my eyes "light up" when I found a beautifully figured board in the pile. Yep, it's now part of the "collection" waiting for that "special" project.:D

Jim Becker
11-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Don, his file is zipped...there should be a compression utility for your Mac that can decompress the file back to the original SketchUp! output.

Robert Reece
11-20-2008, 7:50 PM
I'd appreciate any feedback on the shop layout (see attached pics). The area is an existing daylight basement (28'x28') and I have most of these tools down there now, but not laid out like this. I am putting in a real dust collector so I want to make sure I am getting things about right.

Hopefully you can identify all the tools. It's mostly standard stuff - tablesaw, planer, router table, miter saw (slide), workbench, drill press, jointer, bandsaw. There is also a drum sander (next to tablesaw outfeed table). The tall cylinder by the compressor is the dust collector filters - I am going to mount them away from the dust collector so I can build a muffler of sorts in the joist bay.

The overview shot shows you the walls with windows and doors that I have to work with. There is also a drop steel beam down the center that restricts height in that area.

Some things I can see already is that I don't think I will make my tablesaw outfeed table that big. I'd like to be able to get to all sides of it so I can have storage underneath. I also think I will build a mobile plywood storage cart and put it back behind the tablesaw. Any other ideas about how to maximize that space behind the tablesaw would be appreciated.

Thanks -Rob

Maurice Ungaro
11-20-2008, 9:37 PM
Robert,
I like the fact that a few of your tools are on mobile bases/carts. That helps a great deal with functionality. A couple of points about those:
1. Make sure that your planer outfeed tables match the height of your table saw outfeed table, so you can use it for long boards.
2. Make your router table height slightly less than your TS outfeed table height so you can stow it underneath that.
3. Use the area vacated by the router table for an assembly table.

Have fun and safe woodworking!