PDA

View Full Version : Help Removing Stain From Zebrawood

John Michaels
11-16-2008, 8:24 PM
I have a large slab of Zebrawood with dark gray stains in portions of the sapwood. I tried using oxalic acid to remove the stains with no success. The stains are very deep not just on the surface so sanding won't help much. Any ideas on how to remove them? Other choices might by strong chlorine bleach or A B two part bleach.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1108263/DSC07226.jpg

Earl Kelly
11-16-2008, 9:39 PM
John,

From your pic it appears the stain is confined to the edge of the board. Why can't you trim the edge down? Anything that will remove the stain will remove the natural color also. If the oxalic acid didn't touch it I don't think even an A&B 2 part bleach will completely remove it.

Earl

John Michaels
11-16-2008, 10:28 PM
From your pic it appears the stain is confined to the edge of the board. Why can't you trim the edge down?

Earl

On the other end of the board the stain take ups most of the sapwood, so trimming isn't that great of an option. This slab is massive 6 feet long, 2 feet wide, and 2 inches thick. I'd like to leave as much as possible. Plus it has two live edges.

Jim Becker
11-17-2008, 7:50 AM
John, I think you're going to have to live with the gray coloration...consider it natural coloration to go with your natural edges.