PDA

View Full Version : Cutting top on small box

Philip Florio
11-16-2008, 5:47 PM
I'm making a small box that is 4 x 6 and 3 1/2 inches high.

I want to add the top and bottom and then cut the box about 1 inch from the top for the opening. My tables say blade come out about 3 1/2 inches. If I'm going to cut the width should I simply flip it over?

Another question, I'm going to use lacquer, so would it be okay to use a bottom piece from select pine to the sides that are red oak? I've made a rabbit in the oak to accept the pine to drop in. There is slight play between the pieces, I figured I would only glue one the bottom of the rabbit and not the sides.

Thanks,
Phil

Joe Vincent
11-16-2008, 7:01 PM
I think one tecnique for cutting the tops off of already constructed boxes on a table saw is to set the saw blate just a bit shy of the thickness of the sides. Then cut one side at a time. Because the blade does not go through the sides all the way, the top will stay attached in its original position after you cut the 4 sides but then you just use an Exacto knife or sharp utility knife to cut through the thin strip separating the top from the bottom. Then clean up the cut pieces with a scraper or plane.

Jim Becker
11-16-2008, 8:24 PM
Joe has it right if you are using the table saw. A "not quite though" cut is the ticket.

BTW, be sure to use backer blocks to help insure you don't have any tear out from the blade exit

Michael Faurot
11-16-2008, 11:44 PM
As mentioned, the trick is not to cut all the way through.

When I've done this, I've opted to use a router (mounted in a table) with a 1/8" spiral up-cut bit. What I do is first cut all the way through on two parallel sides. With two sides cut through it makes it easy to see exactly how deep to adjust the cut on the bit so that it will only leave about 1/32" or so on the remaining two sides. This way you can be sure you're only leaving enough meat for the piece to hold together during the cutting, but easy enough to slice through with a razor blade or sharp knife.

I've only done this on a router table, so I'm not sure if the technique I've mentioned would work with a table saw.

Gary Breckenridge
11-17-2008, 12:00 AM
Make to box out of all oak. After you cut the box apart one side at a time stick two strips of adhesive 180 sandpaper to a really flat surface and even up the cuts by moving the box back and forth on the sandpaper; they will mate perfectly.;)Having a blade up 3 1/2" and cutting small objects or boxes can get you the name Three Finger Phil.

Philip Florio
11-17-2008, 9:13 AM
Thanks Joe, Jim & Michael for the reply. Gary, did you write to make the box all out of oak? I thought swelling on the select Pine would be limited by using lacquer to seal it. I was figuring on a walnut top.

Phil

Lee Schierer
11-17-2008, 12:54 PM
I think one tecnique for cutting the tops off of already constructed boxes on a table saw is to set the saw blate just a bit shy of the thickness of the sides. Then cut one side at a time. Because the blade does not go through the sides all the way, the top will stay attached in its original position after you cut the 4 sides but then you just use an Exacto knife or sharp utility knife to cut through the thin strip separating the top from the bottom. Then clean up the cut pieces with a scraper or plane.

I use a slight variation on this technique. I cut the short sides first cutting just shy of all the way through then, I cut all the way through on the long sides of the box. This makes the job of cutting the top loose by hand much easier.