PDA

View Full Version : Major Vintage Gloat worth waiting for

John Bailey
11-16-2008, 5:08 PM
I took a few years looking for this model bandsaw. I posted when I first got it a few weeks ago. I'd like to say I restored this bandsaw. The truth is that when I got it all apart, all I had to do was clean it all up and repaint it. It's an Oliver 192 Heavy Duty model. Oliver called it a portable bandsaw. At over 600#'s, I don't think we would call it portable these days.

I had to take it all apart to get it in the truck and transport it. This is it as it was when I got it in my shop.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/JohnBailey_01/Oliver%20192/IMGP1657.jpg

This is the finished machine, front view.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/JohnBailey_01/Oliver%20192/IMGP1661.jpg

And back

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/JohnBailey_01/Oliver%20192/IMGP1665.jpg

And finally open.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/JohnBailey_01/Oliver%20192/IMGP1666.jpg

It's Sunday, 5:00 P.M. and I'm done for the day. It's got a 1/2 hp. 875 rpm direct drive, 3 phase motor. I've got a 2 hp. VFD that I'll be figuring out how to set up this week. I'm going to post a thread in the Workshop Forum to get help with that. Until then, I'll not be able to crank 'er up. Can't wait.

John

glenn bradley
11-16-2008, 5:13 PM
That is a beautiful beast and I love the fact that the blade exits straight towards the operator. When did we decide it was safer for the blade to have to be contorted for us to change them?

Bill Houghton
11-16-2008, 5:17 PM
That is a beautiful beast and I love the fact that the blade exits straight towards the operator. When did we decide it was safer for the blade to have to be contorted for us to change them?

The advantage to having the blade removable through the side is that your trunnions can be on both sides of the cutting area (in front of and behind). I've got a 1950's bandsaw on which the table is cantilevered over the point of greatest stress because the blade exits out the front, and I've always worried about having those parts break.

Not so sure that's a big issue on an Oliver - it's my impression that most of them could probably handle nuclear attacks without breaking.

John Bailey
11-16-2008, 5:19 PM
Thanks Glen,

Don't know about when the slot went the other way, but I would guess it has to do with cost more that safety. The slot on this one has to be cast into the machine to get the blade by the cast ledge that is the attachment point for the rip fence. Modern machines have a bolt on arrangement that would get in the way of taking the blades off that way.

Just a guess on my point.

John

John Bailey
11-16-2008, 5:22 PM
The advantage to having the blade removable through the side is that your trunnions can be on both sides of the cutting area (in front of and behind). I've got a 1950's bandsaw on which the table is cantilevered over the point of greatest stress because the blade exits out the front, and I've always worried about having those parts break.

Not so sure that's a big issue on an Oliver - it's my impression that most of them could probably handle nuclear attacks without breaking.

There is only one trunnion on this table - heavy duty for sure - but just one.

John

David G Baker
11-16-2008, 5:47 PM
John,
You sure do a beautiful job!

Matt Ocel
11-16-2008, 6:14 PM
John -

Well done!

Steve Rozmiarek
11-16-2008, 7:17 PM
Nice job John! It's good to see another great old Oliver get a good home.

Bob Noles
11-16-2008, 7:19 PM
Oh boy John! This one wins a blue ribbon for sure. It looks as good if not better than the day it rolled off the assembly line. What a great job you did. You are going to enjoy that one the rest of your life. Oh to have something like that sitting in my shop :cool:

Fantastic work ole friend!

Matt Meiser
11-16-2008, 8:15 PM
I love the new look!

Jim Becker
11-16-2008, 8:21 PM
Wow, John...you did a dynamite job on that restoration!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-16-2008, 8:44 PM
Fantastic restoration John!

Brian Clevenger
11-16-2008, 9:26 PM
Nice work John.

I think a man would be hard pressed to find a tool of that quality today.

That table is huge!

Rick Fisher
11-17-2008, 12:56 AM
Beautiful job.

Is that correct that it has a 1/2hp motor?

Its nice to see that saw in such good condition.

John Bailey
11-17-2008, 5:32 AM
Beautiful job.

Is that correct that it has a 1/2hp motor?

Its nice to see that saw in such good condition.

That's right Rick, it's only a 1/2 hp. motor. However, and this is something I wasn't aware of until I did some research, because it's a 875 RPM motor, it produces a lot of torque. If you look at many of the vintage machines, most were low hp compared to what we have today. If you look at what a modern day 900 RPM motor costs today, you'll see they are close to double that of the typical 1725. The Oliver has direct drive also, which means there is no loss of hp associated with the belt and pulley system.

The surface feet per minute (sfpm) is about 4,100 with a 875 RPM motor. Any thing over 5,000, or so, on this machine, could cause blade fatigue. I could get by with a 1,200 RPM motor, but I would have to dial the variable frequency drive (VFD) down. A 1725 RPM motor would just create too much sfpm.

I'm going to leave the original motor for the time being. I did buy a 2 hp. VFD just in case I want to move up later.

John

Gregg Feldstone
11-17-2008, 5:47 AM
Great job!!! Did Oliver make the original motor? Have you had to replace any bearings? I like the color choice. Not quite the same as any tool I've seen. What brand of VFD did you get and why?

John Bailey
11-17-2008, 6:16 AM
Great job!!! Did Oliver make the original motor? Have you had to replace any bearings? I like the color choice. Not quite the same as any tool I've seen. What brand of VFD did you get and why?

Thanks Gregg,

The motor is a Howell. Howell was a Michigan company and was based near Grand Rapids, which is where the Oliver's were manufactured.

No bearing problems. Everything was in good order when I tore it apart.

I bought a TECO FM50, 2 hp. I went with this brand because of recommendations both here and the OWWM site. I went with the 2 hp. just in case I wanted to repower some day.

John

Don Bullock
11-17-2008, 9:18 AM
John, that's a beauty. Great restoration job.