PDA

View Full Version : Mortising Attachment for Powermatic PM2800

Don Brubaker
11-16-2008, 4:54 PM
Anyone put Delta's mortising attachment onto the PM2800? Have both, but doesn't appear obvious how the mortising attachment attaches. Powermatic supposedly has their own "accessory" for this, but I can't find any info on it.
Any help, especially pics, appreciated.
Thanks ahead of time.

Chris Jenkins
11-19-2008, 2:08 PM
Last time I checked their is no mortising attachement for the PM2800 that mounts correctly. I don't have the Delta, but I tried the JET once upon a time and I remember it doesn't work. If I remember correctly the cast piece that holds the mortising chisel doesn't clamp-on and the fence doesn't clamp to the table correctly due to the T-slot clamping.

Chris

Don Brubaker
11-19-2008, 2:33 PM
Last time I checked their is no mortising attachement for the PM2800 that mounts correctly. I don't have the Delta, but I tried the JET once upon a time and I remember it doesn't work. If I remember correctly the cast piece that holds the mortising chisel doesn't clamp-on and the fence doesn't clamp to the table correctly due to the T-slot clamping.

Chris
Thanks Chris,
I actually got out my Delta and found that it does fit after taking the left stop "assembly" off the shaft. It fits without any shims; however, it doesn't work because the "keyless" chuck is too tall and the delta attachment only goes onto the powermatic shaft about 1/16" before the end of the chuch bottoms out on the bottom of the mortising attachment. Don't know if it would even actually work if you could get it on there and have enough clearance; so, looks like I'm gonna get a cheap Delta stand-alone mortiser.
Didn't even address the fence issue, but you're probably right; though, I suspect you could fairly easily come up with some sort of jerry-rigged way to attach the fence. Moot point though unless you put in a shorter "keyed" chuck ...... NO way! I like that keyless chuck!
Oh well.