PDA

View Full Version : Always finding a way to injure myself

Andrew Derhammer
11-16-2008, 4:02 PM
Getting ready to put the last 10 rounds down the range today for practice and I decided to switch from my Mark 1 to the High Standard Victor. I pulled back on the slide and caught the freaking safety on the corner of my thumb, pulled off part of the nail and sliced open a good piece of thumb. Still shot the last 10 though:D

Steve Schlumpf
11-16-2008, 4:51 PM
Andrew - stuff happens! Glad it wasn't worse! I'm sure you won' be doing that again!

Reminds me of getting ready for deer season in Montana when I was a kid - sighting in the rifles. My Dad was the only one of us with a scope and once he had it sighted in he decided to let my brother and me each take a shot and see how we liked using the scope. Well, sure enough, I kept getting closer to the scope so I could see more and when I fired - YUP!!! Nice half-moon cut to the bone right across the eyebrow! Bled like you wouldn't believe! I still remember my Dad - not 'are you OK?' - but instead 'Oh, great! Now I am in trouble with your mother!' Yup - them were the days!

Hope you heal quickly!

Judy Kingery
11-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Andrew, your most recent post reminded me to go back and look at this one. My husband sends his regards and sympathy (fire arms instructor for his job - law enforcement) and also said - tell him to clean it throughly. As blood will rust or corrode a bluing finish faster than anything.

Yep, me, too, I thought he was talking about the wound, but no, the weapon. In any case, hope you're feeling much better and healing up well by now!

Jude

Andrew Derhammer
11-18-2008, 6:36 AM
Andrew, your most recent post reminded me to go back and look at this one. My husband sends his regards and sympathy (fire arms instructor for his job - law enforcement) and also said - tell him to clean it throughly. As blood will rust or corrode a bluing finish faster than anything.

Yep, me, too, I thought he was talking about the wound, but no, the weapon. In any case, hope you're feeling much better and healing up well by now!

Jude
Didn't bleed on the gun. With the irreplaceability of this firearm it would be a crime to bleed on it at all!
It's not too bad of a cut and it's just a little annoying and gets in the way

John Schreiber
11-18-2008, 1:52 PM
As fire arm injuries go, I think you got away pretty well.

Wes Bischel
11-19-2008, 12:22 AM
I still remember my Dad - not 'are you OK?' - but instead 'Oh, great! Now I am in trouble with your mother!'

Thanks for the great laugh Steve! I can hear my Uncle clear as day - almost word for word!:D

Hope the injury heals quickly Andrew.

Wes

Mark Hix
11-19-2008, 6:37 PM
My dad's words: Don't tell your mother! Finially did after 20 years. She still got mad.