PDA

View Full Version : starter kit

ryan kelley
11-16-2008, 3:43 PM
Now that I want to try turning pens I am looking at the basic starter kit form PSI comes with everything I "might need" to start. It does not come with a press, is a press needed or can I just use the tail stock and head stock as a press. Also what would be a good starter book on pen turning.

Mark Hix
11-16-2008, 3:51 PM
A press is not really necessary. I use the vise on my bench. It was handy when I started and never felt the need to change. There are people that use bar clamps, their drill press-just about anyting that compresses. One I know of even uses a cheap can crusher. If you feel you have to have one, there are plans on the net for making some simple ones.

David Walser
11-16-2008, 4:13 PM
1. For the starter kit, cruise one over to Craft Supplies USA (woodturnerscatalog.com) and check out their starter kits. Not because CSUSA is 'better' than Penn State, but to compare what's included.2. For the book, check out the pen turning book by Kip Christensen and Rex Burnham (sp?) while you're at CSUSA. Kip and Rex do a good job of teaching the basics and showing some 'custom' ideas you might like to try. In addition to the book, take a look at their two pen turning videos. Both are worth the time to watch.Please excuse the typos & lack of links. I'm posting this from my phone while waiting to board a plane.