PDA

View Full Version : Rain Rain Come Another Day

Boyd Gathwright
05-31-2004, 9:51 PM
Hello,
<O:p</O:p

This is the first weekend the weather has let up for us. It’s been raining on and off here for the past six (6) to eight (8) weeks. Mother nature allowed just enough time for the soil to dry out so we could rototill the garden and do all our seeding. Now, we are going to try finishing the planting (tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, squash, etc.) by the end of this week, weather permitting. This year we have mowed grass two to three times a week so far and it seems to be continuing (rained again today). Anyway, I hope to be getting back to my woodworking projects, SOON. I included some pics for those that that like to see the latest goings on.<O:p></O:p>

Boyd :(

Boyd Gathwright
05-31-2004, 10:16 PM
Con't 2 0f 2

Hello,

This is the first weekend the weather has let up for us. It’s been raining on and off here for the past six (6) to eight (8) weeks. Mother nature allowed just enough time for the soil to dry out so we could rototill the garden and do all our seeding. Now, we are going to try finishing the planting (tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, squash, etc.) by the end of this week, weather permitting. This year we have mowed grass two to three times a week so far and it seems to be continuing (rained again today). Anyway, I hope to be getting back to my woodworking projects, SOON. I included some pics for those that that like to see the latest goings on.<O:p></O:p>

Boyd :(

Jim Becker
06-01-2004, 12:02 AM
Looks like your Cicada friend decided to hitch a ride, rather than returning to the soil a little early!

Boyd Gathwright
07-08-2004, 4:37 PM
Those WW and others Sharing in Gardening

This is a follow-up of our first planting. For those WW interested in gardening or, those somewhat like me short on time and or resources and would prefer to watch the progress of others at times. The pics below are: Zucchini, Zucchini, Cucumbers, Cucumbers, Yellow Squash, Yellow Squash, Sugar Baby Watermelons, Zucchini and Cantaloupes. These are what are being harvested now with the exception of the watermelons and cantaloupes. There will be more variety to come as the vegetables mature. My wife has trained all our ground hogs to stay away from the garden and the rabbits just gaze through the Two-foot (2’) high fence. The groundhogs don’t even stand up anymore to see who it is when my wife shouts at them they just turn around and run, I am sure they must think there’s a crazy woman loose in the neighborhood and they have learned they want nothing to do with her. We have shut down the holes to their homes gradually and they have moved on to the far side of our fields. The last of the majority of them I saw making a pilgrimage, one behind the other, going through our fence at the far side of one of our fields into our neighbors’ woods. In the first part of the season I had a groundhog run by me while I was on the lawn mower, I think he saw my wife first and I was the lesser of two evils. We are getting ready for the second planting if weather and time cooperate.

Will keep you posted as the growing season continues if you like?

Boyd :cool:

Boyd Gathwright
07-08-2004, 4:45 PM
Con't 2 of 2

Those WW and others Sharing in Gardening

This is a follow-up of our first planting. For those WW interested in gardening or, those somewhat like me short on time and or resources and would prefer to watch the progress of others at times. The pics below are: Zucchini, Zucchini, Cucumbers, Cucumbers, Yellow Squash, Yellow Squash, Sugar Baby Watermelons, Zucchini and Cantaloupes. These are what are being harvested now with the exception of the watermelons and cantaloupes. There will be more variety to come as the vegetables mature. My wife has trained all our ground hogs to stay away from the garden and the rabbits just gaze through the Two-foot (2’) high fence. The groundhogs don’t even stand up anymore to see who it is when my wife shouts at them they just turn around and run, I am sure they must think there’s a crazy woman loose in the neighborhood and they have learned they want nothing to do with her. We have shut down the holes to their homes gradually and they have moved on to the far side of our fields. The last of the majority of them I saw making a pilgrimage, one behind the other, going through our fence at the far side of one of our fields into our neighbors’ woods. In the first part of the season I had a groundhog run by me while I was on the lawn mower, I think he saw my wife first and I was the lesser of two evils. We are getting ready for the second planting if weather and time cooperate.

Will keep you posted as the growing season continues if you like?

Boyd :cool:

Chris Padilla
07-08-2004, 5:09 PM
Looks real nice, Boyd. I'd like to keep seeing your garden grow! :)

Carl Eyman
07-08-2004, 5:43 PM
I'm glad the rain is doing somebody some good.

Boyd Gathwright
07-09-2004, 10:49 PM
Thanks Chris, Will do my best when Mother Nature and the animal world let me.

Carl, I know we have had a lot of rain this year but without it there would be no gardens, no flowers and no yards.

Thanks guys ;)

Jim Ketron
07-09-2004, 11:27 PM
Boyd Looks like you have a nice farm there.
Everything looks as green as a gourd!
Jim

Boyd Gathwright
07-09-2004, 11:41 PM
Thanks Jim, and I admire your progress on your new shop.

Boyd ;)

Boyd Looks like you have a nice farm there.
Everything looks as green as a gourd!
Jim

Tyler Howell
07-10-2004, 6:28 AM
"Only two things money can't buy, that's true love and home grown tomatoes."(squash, zukes, mellons). :D

Nice Boyd, just leave a couple on the back steps.;) Probably the only thing better than "diggin in the dirt" for getting your head screwed on straight is working in the shop!

Dennis Peacock
07-10-2004, 9:59 AM
"
[b][i][color=navy]Probably the only thing better than "diggin in the dirt" for getting your head screwed on straight is working in the shop!

Boy Howdy.!!!! You got that right Tyler.! :D

Great looking garden. Our more popular growing thing in our garden is GRASS and WEEDS!!!! I try to grow grass in the yard and it dies, I try to keep from growing grass but grow veggies and grass grows like it all has a new lease on life.! :mad: