PDA

View Full Version : Kid sized rocker in walnut

Bryan Cowing
11-16-2008, 5:16 AM
I reduced an adult size rocker to produce 4 - kid sized chairs, that I started last January by turning all the legs. Just a bit tardy getting the last two done :eek:. I used a lower grade of 1" walnut stock on 3 of the chairs, lots of knots and sapwood. Brushed on varnish finish.

Dewey Torres
11-16-2008, 5:41 AM
In an application like this one the blond color works great. I am working on a Morris chair right now and I have to say, this thing looks like it was a challenging project.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the most difficult part of the build?

John Keeton
11-16-2008, 6:13 AM
Bryan, I think the figure looks great. The others turned out well, but this one really has some character. I don't see how you stick to getting them done. Repeat projects are hard for me. I would have to do all at once or I would have a hard time getting them done. I admire you.

Brent Smith
11-16-2008, 6:42 AM
Hi Bryan,

I think the figure and sapwood really add an extra dimension to this rocker. Weren't you using lacquer as a finish before?

Bryan Cowing
11-16-2008, 7:24 AM
In an application like this one the blond color works great. I am working on a Morris chair right now and I have to say, this thing looks like it was a challenging project.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the most difficult part of the build?
Making my own plan! Started with a picture of an adult chair from an old magazine article I always admired ( Texas porch rocker ) so about 2 years ago, made about 4 of them, with some mods after the 1st practice one ( thats the one in my avatar) . Then last Jan a co-worker wanted a kids rocker so drew up a full size drawing of the same style of rocker and made some templates. I like the beefy look straight legs and the drilling is less complicated. Having an old Mini Max copy lathe helps too. Once you have made a 1/4" thick pexiglass template, it takes about 10 to 15 minutes to make a rough leg part that you then touch up with lathe chisels / sand. Making the dowels the exact size- 7/8 dia. can be challenging too. I use the carriage on the copy lathe to make the dowels :D, much like as if it was a metal lathe. I also learned to turn the hand rest pin in the lathe and modified the seat support after suggestions from other turners. Having made the adult chairs, making the kid size one was easier.

Bryan Cowing
11-16-2008, 7:27 AM
Hi Bryan,

I think the figure and sapwood really add an extra dimension to this rocker. Weren't you using lacquer as a finish before? Yes but my grand kids are hard on lacquer finishes on other items I have made them. I had a 1/2 can of varnish left over, so used that, hoping it would stand up better to rough use.

Bryan Cowing
11-16-2008, 7:46 AM
Bryan, I think the figure looks great. The others turned out well, but this one really has some character. I don't see how you stick to getting them done. Repeat projects are hard for me. I would have to do all at once or I would have a hard time getting them done. I admire you. I made two right away back last Jan and Feb . I had paying customers for those two chairs :). Then I started again a month ago. Found out I make lousy notes, had to relearn where to drill the holes in the legs :confused:

mark harmon
11-16-2008, 12:56 PM
my first reaction was .....gaudy

Bryan Cowing
11-16-2008, 2:42 PM
my first reaction was .....gaudy
Sorry you don't like it . Could it be the color? here's a pic in natural light.

mark harmon
11-16-2008, 3:50 PM
it looks great. I have to adjust the scale in my mind that its a childs chair. Build a big one but experiement with the proportions before committing.

John Thompson
11-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Beautiful grain...

Sarge..