PDA

View Full Version : Help with Sargent 5607 Block Plane

David Myers
11-15-2008, 11:16 PM
I recently purchased the Sargent 5607 pictured below (Sargent V.B.M. on the blade). I was hoping to make this a user, but the blade doesn't appear to have much meat left, and the current bevel is ground at around 15 degrees. As a consequence, when the knuckle is locked, it actually is clamping across part of the bevel. Is this a problem (i.e. will it stablize/clear shavings well)?

On a related note, do any of you know of a compatible replacement iron? I don't expect to find one with built-in lateral adjuster, I'd just like one that will mate with the depth adjustment teeth reasonably well.

Thanks in advance.

Dan Carroll
11-18-2008, 1:06 PM
I might have one, i will have to look when I get home. My 5607 was my grandfathers and there were a couple of extra irons in the box that it came in. I don't recall right now if it has the lateral adjustment or if it is an iron from a different make. Have you checked St. James Tool Co.? That guy has everything.

David Myers
11-19-2008, 4:36 PM
Thanks. I checked the St. James site on your suggestion; he does have that model block plane but not any spare irons. I'll keep looking.