PDA

View Full Version : Simple Workbench

Richard Lewis
11-15-2008, 11:09 PM
Greetings all. I'm early on in my woodworking shop development, so I'm still a little sparse on the tool side of things. With that in mind I built a pretty simple workbench last weekend that turned out well. Total cost was less than $250, and I am sure those south of the 49th could do it for $150 or less.

I think I've built a table that will last me many, many years. It's built with a cross between a house framer approach, and a wood workers approach, mostly because the tools at my disposal limited the designs I could pull off. As much as I wanted to build a tenoned hardwood work of art, it's a hard thing to pull off without so much as a tablesaw. ;)

Basic details are 2x4 construction, glued and screwed, 3/4" MDF lower shelf, solid core door top (32" x 84") and a generic quick release vice. Finish is shellac and will get a coat of wax over that likely tomorrow.

Comments, questions, (constructive) criticisms all welcome!

John Schreiber
11-15-2008, 11:49 PM
Good for you Richard. It will serve you well and if later you want to build a different bench, you will have learned from this one and you will have a bench to build it on.

I've been working on mine for about four months (off and on and off). It's good to accomplish something over a weekend.

Dewey Torres
11-16-2008, 12:07 AM
That l' work!:)

Isn't is funny how in order to build a bench you almost need a bench:confused:

Be sure and share some projects with us now.

Richard Lewis
11-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Isn't is funny how in order to build a bench you almost need a bench:confused:

That's more or less where I was at! Most of my projects are centered around updating the house we just bought, and I was finding it difficult to do much of anything without a flat, level, stable work surface. (including building this bench) I've got some closet cabinets/organizers to build shortly, and I wanted something in place before I started those.

Anyway, this was less than a days work to build with a circular saw and SCMS. I know I need a tablesaw, I just can't quite figure out how it's going to fit in my little shop just yet!

Phil Thien
11-16-2008, 2:24 PM
I like it. I also used a solid core door for my bench top. I never mind putting extra holes or marks in it, as it would be inexpensive to replace.

gary Zimmel
11-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Looks like a good solid bench for all of your up comming home projects.

And as others have said you will have a bench to build another bench... when the time comes.

Jim Becker
11-17-2008, 7:34 AM
Very nice bench! Good looking work.

John Thompson
11-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Very nice job on the base, Richard. That should last and if you want to take the old top off for any reason and replace with solid... I would leave the base to mount it too. You might even consider southern yellow pine which I have used on the last five. It's solid.. stable and probably could be done under $30 by ripping 2 x 12's.

BTW.. the top you have should work fine...

Sarge..

whit richardson
11-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Welcome to the world of wood. I too had to struggle to build a workable bench using plywood, OSB and pine 4x4 legs. Looks good. The only suggestion I would add is the strip the shellac (if it's real shellac) and either leave it unfinished or use a finish that won't have problems being beaten, spilled and scraped on. Shellac is pretty fragile and will soften or dissolve with alcohol so it doesn't hold up well in a shop. You can use a Oil finish like Watco Danish Oil or maybe a polyurethane.

Keep going man!