PDA

View Full Version : Local Lumberyard tool show

Paul Greathouse
11-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Today one of the local lumberyards had a tool show/sale in their parking lot. No stationary tools, but alot of powertools. Several of the major companies were there (Dewalt, Freud, Bosch, Makita, Senco, Milwaukee, Bostitch). I got to handle alot of the new stuff that the lumberyard doesn't normally stock.

If I were in the market right now for an 18V lithium drill/driver it would be the Milwaukee. It seemed to be the best of the brands that were on display there. I haven't had much experience with their tools but they seem to be making a major effort to sell some quality stuff.

One thing that some of you may find interesting, I was talking to the Dewalt rep. He said that around the second quarter of 2009 Dewalt should be selling replacement lithium batteries for their older NiCad drill/drivers. That was a welcome piece of information for me because I have 2 of the older 14.4 XRP's that I would like to keep using but their batteries are not holding a charge like they should.

I also had an interesting conversation with the Freud rep. He was very knowledgeable and really knew his product. You could tell he was a woodworker, much unlike most of the other tool reps that I talked to that seemed to be more salesman than woodworkers. I had never seen the Freud router table fence up close, it is a very well thought out and accurate design. If I didn't already have a Norm table/fence I would definately get the Freud.

It was kind of funny talking to the young Senco Tool rep. He was comparing his new model guns to his old models. I told him your old models are newer than any of mine. He said Oh, you have the good ones. The new ones are lighter and fancier looking but I like my old plain, solid finish guns. I'm just a little too old school I guess.

We don't get any of the big shows in our area so this little show was a treat for me. It only took about 2 hours to see everything but it was interesting to be able to compare the different brands side by side.