PDA

View Full Version : McNaughton

Tom Bucanan
11-15-2008, 8:40 PM
Do the jumbo McNaughton coring blades fit in the handle that comes with the standard set?

Reed Gray
11-16-2008, 12:27 PM
The standard handle that comes with the McNaughton coring system fits the large, standard and mini set. If you are going to use the large set, then I recomend getting the handle extention for a little more leverage. My preference. Do get used to the standard set before trying the large set. There is now a micro set intended for the mini lathes, and they will not fit into the large handles. This set up will take the mini set of blades though.
robo hippy

Tom Bucanan
11-16-2008, 3:07 PM
I have been using the standard set for a while and I just got one of the jumbo coring blades. For some reason it will not slide into my handle. I didn't know if it was supposed to fit or not. It seems to go in a little bit, but it won't slide all the way in.

Reed Gray
11-16-2008, 5:15 PM
I did this too when I first got mine. It is probably the set screws for the blades. They need to be backed out a bit farther to get the large set of blades in the handle.
robo hippy

Tom Bucanan
11-16-2008, 6:04 PM
That is probably it. Thanks

Paul Andrews
11-17-2008, 7:15 AM
Unless the newer blades have changed, the jumbo blades do not fit into the standard handle. They have their own much larger handle.

Reed Gray
11-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Well, I just learned some thing new about a tool that I have had for almost 10 years. There is a small and large opening in the tool handle. I have always had the handle extention attached. it goes into the small opening with set screws. This end will accept the standard set of blades. I had always put them in the other bigger opening end which also has set screws. The big end will accept all blades except the micro ones. Paul, does your handle have this, big opening and small opening?
robo hippy

john taliaferro
11-17-2008, 1:38 PM
i never used , so i mounted in a pice of steel pipe about 3' long filled with lead shot. i can't remember how i made the wedge , but its never come loose. it will go out about a foot if you go easy and it will bend ifyou dont john t

Tom Bucanan
11-17-2008, 4:12 PM
It does have a large opening and a small opening, but I am pretty sure that the standard blades don't fit in the smaller opening. I went onto the Kelton website and it says that they sell numerous different handles (with different size openings). Maybe you have the next size up? I got my handle from Craftsupplies USA. I hope I don't have to go out and buy a new handle just to use the large coring tools

Reed Gray
11-17-2008, 5:37 PM
Well, I have 2 handles, one from Craft supplies, and the other from Woodcraft. They are identical, and one was with the old style blades, and the other with the newer style blades. You don't have to get another handle. I did have one problem with the second handle, the set screws that came with it were too short to reach the blade on the mini set of blades. A quick trip to the local hardware store fixed that.
robo hippy

Tom Bucanan
11-17-2008, 5:41 PM
Ok thanks. Also do you have any idea where I could get another set screw? I lost one of them