PDA

View Full Version : ficus tree

alex carey
11-15-2008, 8:03 PM
I was driving home and about to take the turn to my street when I saw a huge truck with a bunch of ginormous pieces of wood. Sadly it was pine, but I talked to the main guy and he said the are cutting down a ficus in that same place. Anyone ever turn ficus. Is it any good and should I get a ton of it if I can. I don't know the exact species. He did say it was a pretty large tree, at least 3 feet in diameter. If you got pictures of your ficus turnings that would be great.

Alex

ROY DICK
11-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Alex,

Heck send us pics of your turnin's of the ficus.:D
I wood love to see them.

Roy
I've never turned that kind, but if it's free. Just be careful.

alex carey
11-16-2008, 1:00 AM
I would but sadly my lathe is out of commission for a few weeks until I get a new headstock. With the old one the VS broke and it goes to the max speed possible on every belt. That is 1900 rpm on the my lowest of three belts. Just a bit too high to rough anything out... I posted the same message about ficus on other forums and some people say it is pretty good wood so I am gonna get a ton of it. I'll take a picture of that, and try and verify if it is ficus.

Alex

Norm Zax
11-16-2008, 5:07 AM
Ficus can be bland or decorative. Heres a sample a friend of mine made (A.Isman)

alex carey
11-16-2008, 8:30 PM
I got a few of those pieces I talked about. I brought a leaf also. If anyone can identify it as Ficus for sure that would be helpful.

This wood seems much lighter in color than that picture you posted Norm.

Also the sap was white if that helps.

Alwx

Steve Schlumpf
11-16-2008, 8:39 PM
Alex - no matter what it is - you have some wood to play with! Congrats! Make sure you seal the ends real soon so they won't start checking!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Sean Troy
11-16-2008, 9:10 PM
Yes, that is Ficus. I turned a lot of that when I lived in Arizona. It turns like butter. Nice long streamers of shavings will come off your gouge.