PDA

View Full Version : Bad cut with Freud SD 608

Philip Florio
11-15-2008, 7:07 PM
When I got my new Freud SD 608 dial dado set I tested it with a 1/8 chipper and I got a nice clean cut. Today I was using the same set but turned it 22 clicks to get a 7/16 cut. The bottom of the cut is uneven and the corners have cuts outs in them too. I was using oak.

I wonder if my table saw poly insert might be having and influence since it's not solid.

Phil

Dewey Torres
11-15-2008, 7:14 PM
It is a zero clearance? Dado blades (even great ones like yours) are not nearly as clean without a true ZC. Pick up the latest issue of Wood Magazine and look through the Dado blade review. They had your blade in there and made specific mention of the importance of a ZC.

As for the material of your insert, I am not sure. I make mine out of plywood.

Charles McCracken
11-17-2008, 8:26 AM
Phil,
A stacked dado set depends on the arbor being true in order to produce a flat dado. Is it possible that the arbor is slightly under size or that there is an undercut where the threads start? I'm not clear what you mean by cut outs in the corners. Are you referring to the slight "V" cuts that are on the very outer edge?

Philip Florio
11-17-2008, 9:38 AM
Charles thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the clarification, yes it's the V cut in the outer edge. Over the weekend I was experimenting. Using oak and plywood I tried by using feather boards to secure the piece. It cleaned up but there is still slight unevenness on the bottom. I have the Ridgid TS3650.

How tight should I make the nut? It seems to be difficult to tighten up the stack without the outer blade moving against the chipper.

Phil

scott spencer
11-17-2008, 9:47 AM
Charles thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the clarification, yes it's the V cut in the outer edge. Over the weekend I was experimenting. Using oak and plywood I tried by using feather boards to secure the piece. It cleaned up but there is still slight unevenness on the bottom. I have the Ridgid TS3650.

How tight should I make the nut? It seems to be difficult to tighten up the stack without the outer blade moving against the chipper.

Phil

Philip - Some of the TS3650 were produced with a defective arbor up until ~ May 2005 IIRC that caused problems with stacked dados. Ridgid is offering a free replacement arbor if you contact them. There have been others who've filled the groove successfully with JB Weld, but I don't necessarily want to recommend that you do that....check the Ridgid website for more info.

Philip Florio
11-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks Scott,

I bought mine at Home Depot in March 2007.

Phil

Philip - Some of the TS3650 were produced with a defective arbor up until ~ May 2005 IIRC that caused problems with stacked dados. Ridgid is offering a free replacement arbor if you contact them. There have been others who've filled the groove successfully with JB Weld, but I don't necessarily want to recommend that you do that....check the Ridgid website for more info.

Charles McCracken
11-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Phil,

Scott is correct that there have been saws, namely some of the Craftsman and Ridgids, that had arbors that contributed to uneven dadoes. The little "V"s in the corners are normal and are caused by the scoring action of the bevel tips on the outer blades. You should not tighten the dado set more than snug.

scott spencer
11-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks Scott,

I bought mine at Home Depot in March 2007.

Phil

Could still have been older stock that didn't rotate through. I think you can check the serial number for DOM. Here's a pic:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/arbor.jpg