PDA

View Full Version : Performax 22-44 Plus

Ed Weiser
05-31-2004, 1:37 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Performax recently introduced this drum sander. It seems to be at a lower price point than the 22-44 Pro and at least one superior feature: the Smart Sand sensor which apparently reduces the risk of motor overload and stall. I'm looking at buying a drum sander and would appreciate anyone's input. Thanks.

Ed

Jim Becker
05-31-2004, 2:02 PM
The 22-44 Plus is indeed a different unit from the 22-44 Pro. The Plus is based on the same design as the 16-32 Plus with a little more capacity What I've heard is that they have also tweeked it a bit from the lessons learned with the smaller machine. The pricing is very reasonable and you have your choice of no-cabinet, open stand or closed cabinet. Other optional features are similar to the 16-32 Plus. I really like the 22" wide "unflipped" capacity as that will work nicely for most work I do, yet still leave the option of handling much wider panels.

It's on my list for a "future tool purchase gloat" sometime this year...:p

Mark Angle
05-31-2004, 9:33 PM
I talked with a Performax rep at the Charlotte WW show this spring about the 22/44. One thing he mentioned was amount of "spring" or flexing on the open end. He said that was tested and was LESS than the smaller unit. Hope that helps, Mark. PS Also very high on my want list...

John Weber
05-31-2004, 10:17 PM
Ed,

I have a 16/32 and really like it. I looked at the older 22/44 and just couldn't spend the extra $$$ to upgrade when I bought my machine. That said, if I was consider a 22/44 Pro or the newer "Plus" version based on the 16/32 I could try and swing the Pro version. The 16/32 works well, however I'm not sure how robust the design is, I really like the older Pro version and depending on the cost differiential I would go with the Pro.

John

Jim Becker
05-31-2004, 11:59 PM
Cost differential is about $800 between the Plus and the Pro, not including goodies, etc.

John Weber
06-01-2004, 12:44 AM
Wow, before the "Plus" came out you could get a "Pro" for around $1600, at least at the Wood Shows. Another $400 makes it less attractive, but the Pro is a very nice machine. As for the smart sensor, that would be nice depending on how it worked, here is a modification I did to my 16/32:

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/picss04/amp1.jpg

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/picss04/amp2.jpg

John

Chris Padilla
06-01-2004, 11:37 AM
This drum sander is also on my list. Have you looked at Delta's 18/32? I believe Mr. Miliunas has it.

Jim Becker
06-01-2004, 11:40 AM
This drum sander is also on my list. Have you looked at Delta's 18/32? I believe Mr. Miliunas has it.
Yes, I looked at it when it first came out and my local tool store was assembling one. My ears were blue from the language coming out of their mouths and I wasn't particularly impressed with the construction, etc. I really think that Performax makes a better sander...they've been doing it for a long time and learning from the experience. The "Delta of old" would have come up with a top-notch machine, but they haven't been impressing folks all that much recently. There is nothing that makes it special or better. Not a good thing in a competitive world where there is a strong incumbent.

John Weber
06-01-2004, 12:00 PM
There is nothing that makes it special or better.

Jim,

While I've had the Performax for a number of years, I believe the Delta does offer some additional benefits. Including a wider drum, ability to use an inflatable drum off the side, cast iron table, and slightly better dust collection. I bought the Performax right after the Delta came out and had some table alignment issues, but those have been fixed for a couple years now, and I seldom hear any negative comments from anyone that has the Delta or the Performax for that matter. In a hobbyist shop either small sander quickly becomes a useful addition and finds all sorts of uses. The Performax is a more refined machine, but either is very capable of doing the job.

John

Jim Becker
06-01-2004, 12:38 PM
While I've had the Performax for a number of years, I believe the Delta does offer some additional benefits. Including a wider drum...[/QUOTE]
True, but we were discussing the 22-44 which is wider than the Delta 18-36. Or perhaps I missed a change in focus. I truly didn't like the construction of the Delta when I got a close look at it, although that's a very subjective thing.

John Weber
06-01-2004, 1:37 PM
When you and Chris brought up the Delta I refered to the 16/32 since it was in the same price ballpark as the Delta. The Delta is still around $800 where as the open stand 22/44 Plus starts at $1100.

John

Jim Becker
06-01-2004, 1:42 PM
When you and Chris brought up the Delta I refered to the 16/32 since it was in the same price ballpark as the Delta. The Delta is still around $800 where as the open stand 22/44 Plus starts at $1100.

John
Good point. My appologies.

John Weber
06-01-2004, 3:09 PM
No need for appologies, but for even less money and a better surface, you need this baby:

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/images/haf_4.jpg

John

Jim Becker
06-01-2004, 3:12 PM
No need for appologies, but for even less money and a better surface, you need this baby:
...and the time to use it. Maybe when I retire or the Prize Patrol shows up letting me retire a little "early"...assuming I'm ever able to retire!