PDA

View Full Version : My Quality Grinding & Machine Steel Extension

Keith Starosta
11-15-2008, 12:48 PM
OK...so I won the extension table in the FreeStuff drawing....big deal! ;)

HA!! I am pumped up!! I can't wait to speak with Chris, and get more details. In the meantime, I need some help. I've never owned a "proper" router table before, be it a table saw wing extension, or a stand-alone version. I'm not sure what I need to be aware of, or what questions I need to ask.

I guess the most important item would be the type of table saw it will be mounted to. I own a PM64A Artisan's Saw. This is a contractor's saw, but is very sturdy. The Router wing will be mounted to the right of the blade. At this moment, I do not have an insert for a router, but do have the actual router. I'll be using my old-school Hitachi 3HP machine. I don't have a fence yet, and will research the benefits of making the fence vs. buying an aftermarket model. Lots to think about... :eek: :confused:

So, and advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, folks!

- Keith

Jim Kountz
11-15-2008, 4:16 PM
Ok I guess you already know you suck right? LOL Congrats on winning the new router table wing!
As far as fences go I have always preferred to make my own mainly because I can incorporate all the features I want and not have to settle for less. That being said a while back I believe in Wood magazine there was some plans to make a fence and it was a really nice design. It had like three pieces to each fence half allowing you to really close it up around the bit. Perhaps some others here may know more about it and could chime in here. Also you may want to think about the "Router Raizer" it works great with the ol hitachi 3hp routers. Good luck with your research and once again congratulations!!

Jim

Keith Starosta
11-15-2008, 4:59 PM
Ok I guess you already know you suck right? LOL Congrats on winning the new router table wing!
As far as fences go I have always preferred to make my own mainly because I can incorporate all the features I want and not have to settle for less. That being said a while back I believe in Wood magazine there was some plans to make a fence and it was a really nice design. It had like three pieces to each fence half allowing you to really close it up around the bit. Perhaps some others here may know more about it and could chime in here. Also you may want to think about the "Router Raizer" it works great with the ol hitachi 3hp routers. Good luck with your research and once again congratulations!!

Jim

Thanks, Jim!!

Is this the fence that you were talking about?

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/woodstore_2029_8342742

Looks interesting. I'm going to have to look through my back issues. I may just have that plan...

- Keith

Jim Kountz
11-15-2008, 5:25 PM
Yeah boy thats the one. I really liked that design. Looking at it again makes me want to think about actually making one myself!!

Jim Becker
11-15-2008, 6:08 PM
You probably need to determine how you want to mount your router to the table; either with an insert or with a lift and pick and exact product so that the opening can be tailored to match. This is assuming that Chris is going to make it up custom for you and the unit doesn't already have a specific insert/lift in mind. They are all different in dimensions...

Keith Starosta
11-15-2008, 7:43 PM
You probably need to determine how you want to mount your router to the table; either with an insert or with a lift and pick and exact product so that the opening can be tailored to match. This is assuming that Chris is going to make it up custom for you and the unit doesn't already have a specific insert/lift in mind. They are all different in dimensions...

That's an excellent point! I will be sure to ask him that. Thanks!

Keith

Neal Clayton
11-15-2008, 10:21 PM
i don't think any contractor saw will hold the weight of that table on its own. it's borderline on my PM66.

but chris can sell you some pre-mounted/drilled legs so i'd recommend that.

Keith Outten
11-16-2008, 8:44 AM
Keith S,

If you can swing it definitely use a router raiser. When I got my extension wing from Chris Brown I ordered the Powermatic (JessEM) router raiser with the wing. Since Chris had the router raiser the machining was perfect, in fact the fit was so close you have to drop the plate in straight down or it won't insert into the joint.

You will end up with a router table that is indescribable, no other table that I have ever used comes close. The steel tables are in a league of their own but you have to use one to feel and see the difference, I was shocked the first time I used mine. The feeling is like comparing a lightweight table top table saw to a massive commercial model. You can tell instantly from just the sound...you know what I mean.

My glowing review of the extension table that Quality Grinding and Machine made for me is an honest appraisal and has nothing to do with their being an advertiser here. QG&M is a first class outfit.

Matt Meiser
11-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Definitely don't skimp on the plate. I've owned a two different plates. One was a plastic material and while it was a nice plate it got pretty beat up pretty quickly. The other is an aluminum plate from Rockler and its very well made but the opening doesn't support decent size panel raiser bits and its kind of small so I have to wiggle the router through the opening. I've got my eye on a new one and it will most likely be aluminum. Luckily most are bigger than the one I currently have so I can just route the opening bigger. But obviously you won't have that option so you definitely want a plate that will last forever.

Keith Starosta
11-19-2008, 6:42 PM
So I was finally able to take the right wing extension of my PM64A this afternoon, and get exact measurements of the bolt hole layout. Chris gave me all of the specifics on Monday. The steel router table extension will replace the right 12" extension I currently have. The steel wing will be 16"x27", which will give me an extra 4" to the right of the blade. Gotta like that! :D

Chris said the turnaround should be in the neighborhood of two weeks. That should give me enough time to talk the LOML into getting me my JessEm insert as a Christmas present. ;)

More to come.....

- Keith