PDA

View Full Version : Need an idea

George McGinnis
11-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Hi Everyone
Looking for a good idea to laser something special for a silent auction benefitting my brother in law which has cancer that might bring in alittle bit of extra money for him. Please remember though that I am really new to lasering. And haven't figured out the great things that you folks have done on the posts I have seen here in the forum.
Thanks for the help
George

Gary and Jessica Houghton
11-15-2008, 2:06 PM
There is a saying...
~ What Cancer Cannot Do ~

Cancer is limited
Cancer cannot cripple love
Cancer cannot shatter hope
Cancer cannot erode faith
Cancer cannot destroy peace
Cancer cannot kill friendship
Cancer cannot destroy memories
Cancer cannot silence courage
Cancer cannot invade the soul
Cancer cannot steal eternal life
Cancer cannot conquer the spirit
Cancer is limited.....

You can laser this inscription on any number of things. A nice wood plaque with some scroll work. I really like the saying. It gives a message of hope where there might be none.

Nancy Laird
11-15-2008, 3:00 PM
George, I really like the inscription above. I second the wood plaque. Howevr, for something that you want to sell at a silent auction, how about a collection of Christmas ornaments cut from solid wood (1/8 or 1/4") or from 1/4" acrylic? Snowflakes cut from acrylic are particularly good sellers and money-raisers--at least for me.

11-15-2008, 3:11 PM
Nancy is right about ornaments. They are always a good thing. I've been thinking more about this and I thought about some bookmarks, some magnets for the fridge (or wherever), some wooden jewelry, maybe leather bracelets, the list is endless. These can all be done relatively inexpensive and be sold in great numbers for a good profit. I would suggest to think outside the box and create something unique and highly desired. What if you created some type of design for etching on a Maglite? Those have been wildly successful with us. Since it's for you brother-in-law, you might want to gear it to men. Or not. Just a thought.

Steve Clarkson
11-15-2008, 3:33 PM
What if you created some type of design for etching on a Maglite? Those have been wildly successful with us.

Gary and Jessica,

What kind of designs are you putting on maglites? I like the design from Epi;og, but just don't see people paying alot of money for that. How are you marketing them?

George McGinnis
11-15-2008, 3:49 PM
Thank you for the ideas. I'm going to do some lasering.
Thanks George

11-15-2008, 3:58 PM
We have done everything from cars, to deer and in between. I have a retail shop and one is etched and out for display. The one on display is from Epilog. We market them by telling our customers about how they can now offer the man in there life something they might actually want. We live in Texas and every man here either owns a maglite or wants one. The most popular is the 3D. Here's a picture of one we did for a deer hunter.

Steve Clarkson
11-15-2008, 4:09 PM
Very nice.....thanks. Can I ask how much you charge for it? If you don't mind.

11-15-2008, 4:20 PM
We charge $39.95 for existing designed maglites. If someone wants us to create a new design, we charge $5 more. We did this out of necessity. Last Christmas season we did probably 50 maglites in about a three week span.

David James
11-15-2008, 9:45 PM
Go to http://www.coloradoheirloom.com/Boxes.html and click the "D" in "Cut Your Own Designs". It brings you to all their products laid out nicely with lots of good engraving ideas. If you email them, they will e-mail you back a price list.

Jim Good
11-16-2008, 6:14 PM
I engraved a Laserbuzz Dollhouse (with furniture) for a Church auction. With Christmas around the corner, there might be a few people that would like it for their child.

Give Buzz a call.

Jim

Cindy Rhoades
11-17-2008, 3:08 PM
I do a cancer plaque with a very similar vese on it with a rose beside the text engraved on black marble it is quite beautiful.