PDA

View Full Version : removing sticky teak oil from wood surface

Steve Kolbe
11-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Any ideas? I apparently did not get ALL the excess off in as timely a manner as the wood would have preferred!

I just need to clean up the surface a little.

Steve Schoene
11-15-2008, 1:08 PM
First, try wiping with mineral spirits and a grey 3-M pad. Hopefully, most of the problem will be insufficient cure and the mineral spirits will cut it.

If that doesn't work you may have to escalate to stripper and starting over with the finishing. Bummer.

Howard Acheson
11-15-2008, 5:24 PM
Follow Steve's suggestion regarding mineral oil applied with an abrasive pad. However, I recommend you then wipe off the resulting gunk with lots of paper towels. Let everything dry overnight and see how it looks.

What are you using teak oil for?

Steve Schoene
11-15-2008, 8:27 PM
Yes, but it really is mineral spirits as I am sure Howard knew but the fingers didn't type. Fingers don't always obey.

Howard Acheson
11-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks Steve, I really have to stop typing before starting my martinis.

Steve Kolbe
11-16-2008, 11:51 AM
well, that seems to have worked! Thanks, guys!

The teak oil is on some paduak puzzle pieces we made recently. The chillier temperatures this weekend didn't help either. The mineral spirits, plus using loads of paper towels, plus bringing them inside (warmer, drier air) seems to have done the trick. I will try to let them cure for a week or so here in the computer room where it stays nice and toasty!