PDA

View Full Version : Could not believe it....

Paul B. Cresti
11-15-2008, 7:56 AM
But I was in Turkey this past week for my firms final Design Development meeting for a private school. After the meetings were over we went to visit the construction site of another project we are doing. It is a 22 story 5 star hotel (6 stories below grade) and in typical fashion in this part of the world all the construction is reinforced concrete. Well here is the funny part....I was walking around the job site asking question about the rebar, how long it took to produced the form work per each floor and there it was in the middle of the floor.... a format slider. No not one of those little portable contractors saws but a real format slider. I could not tell what kind it was but from the color it looked like a Rojek.

Jason White
11-15-2008, 8:26 AM
Ok, I'll be the dumb guy...

What's a format slider?

But I was in Turkey this past week for my firms final Design Development meeting for a private school. After the meetings were over we went to visit the construction site of another project we are doing. It is a 22 story 5 star hotel (6 stories below grade) and in typical fashion in this part of the world all the construction is reinforced concrete. Well here is the funny part....I was walking around the job site asking question about the rebar, how long it took to produced the form work per each floor and there it was in the middle of the floor.... a format slider. No not one of those little portable contractors saws but a real format slider. I could not tell what kind it was but from the color it looked like a Rojek.

Peter Quinn
11-15-2008, 8:43 AM
On a construction site? Sweet. Contractors here used to move in a big RAS, seems in Europe (Turkey is in the EU no?) they do it right.

Philip Glover
11-15-2008, 8:50 AM
In Turkey - wow!
I have been told of similar sightings of combo machines (MiniMax) at hotel jobs here in the US.
I makes sense to me since the machines are relatively portable when there are trucks and forklifts available at both ends.

Examples of a format slider (sliding panel saw) can be seen on the MiniMax and Martin web sites.

Regards,
Phil

frank shic
11-15-2008, 9:52 AM
jason, check this out:

Ted Calver
11-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Paul,
I enjoyed living in turkey for several years in the early eighties....sounds like their building techniques have come a long way from what i recall. I watched multi-story buildings go up with marginal reinforcement and little consistency in the mix. Every time the ground shook ....and it was often....we feared our ninth floor apartment would take a dive!!

Paul B. Cresti
11-15-2008, 1:45 PM
Turkey is split between Europe and Asia. Actually Instanbul is half in Europe and half in Asia and the rest of the country is in Asia. Interesting mix in Turkey. It is a islamic country but very secular. They either are still trying to or are now in the European Union...stong ties with Germany....and the country itself is very different depending on where your are, kind of like here in the USA.

I believe their construction technology has gotten better but they still are use to concrete. Things like steel, are used but not as much. Also hard to find certain building products, things we take for granted. The funny thing is that woodworking does not seem to be that much of an art there. They do have shops but from what I understand high quality craftsmanship is not "normal"