PDA

View Full Version : My latest ornament finial.

Joshua Dinerstein
11-15-2008, 1:07 AM
I posted pics a few days ago of my attempt then to get things small. I have discovered why there are different sizes of skews. I have been using the 1/2 since that point and I have really been having fun with it and trying to see how small I could make things. So I turned the following "more traditional" icicle tonight. I included a pic showing the partial finished piece. I did that because I was pretty darn afraid I was going to snap it off at some point but I managed to finish it all up.

What follows is a shot of my 3 most recent skew only finials and one more blurry, DANG IT!, shot of the partially done one with the 1/2" skew held up close for size comparisons.

Oh and included at no extra charge is my home made tool rest! 6" long and working so well I want to go out and make some more!

So which do you like better? The more traditional one that looks a bit like dripping ice or the ones with balls and what not? Comments? Suggestions on making them look better?

I really need to make a story stick if I am going to try copying the smaller one again. I just eyeballed it and I was off by about 3/8ths on the length of it. But as long as they are not right next to each other they look pretty similar.

Joshua

Joshua Dinerstein
11-15-2008, 1:08 AM
Oh and with the left over wood I wanted to see what I could do with it. I just wanted to see how slender a piece I could still turn and not snap off. This was the best I could do...

Joshua

Cyril Griesbach
11-15-2008, 9:14 AM
Joshua, the finial pictured with the dime is much improved over your earlier post. You've certainly made a large step in the right direction and the tiny practice piece only goes to show that you're certainly mastering that skew. I wish I could say the same for myself.

Cyril

Ken Fitzgerald
11-15-2008, 9:20 AM
Joshua...Joshua....Joshua! You have really come a long way with that skew! A few weeks ago, would you have believed it?

It is a kick isn't it!

I happy for you!

Hey Bernie.....we created a skewy monster!

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Joshua you have come a long way and looks like you are comfortable with the skew. Those are well done. It is amazing what can be done with a skew.

Yep Ken we created another one.:eek::D:cool:;)