PDA

View Full Version : Glass vs Acrylic

Steve Clarkson
11-15-2008, 12:34 AM
Which works better, is easier, cheaper and looks better: painting the back of a piece of glass (say an 8"x10") or acrylic when I plan to raster off the paint for text and maybe an image? I'll probably mount it on a wood plaque afterward.

Frank Corker
11-15-2008, 9:08 AM
Which works better, is easier, cheaper and looks better: painting the back of a piece of glass (say an 8"x10") or acrylic when I plan to raster off the paint for text and maybe an image? I'll probably mount it on a wood plaque afterward.

Jeez Steve, you really could have worded that better! Acrylic sheet is cheaper than glass and easier to laser, it doesn't break easily. Glass can be troublesome for some, it is much harder than acrylic but it doesn't scratch. Go with acrylic.

Steve Clarkson
11-15-2008, 9:16 AM
I'm really hoping that there aren't any retired English teachers on here......I've always had a problem with run on sentences!

Thanks Frank!

Mike Null
11-15-2008, 1:19 PM
Frank is right.

Scott Erwin
11-15-2008, 1:48 PM
Acrylic is much easier to work on and is much cheaper. Although if you are looking at glasses (drinking) then I prefer the real thing, glass. It just feels better for the person holding it and not just a piece of "plastic".

For the use as you describe, acrylic is your best choice.
Acrylic-2 Glass-0

Good Luck.

Steve Clarkson
11-15-2008, 2:14 PM
Tell me what you think of this method:

If I take an 8x10 piece of acrylic and completely cover the back with painters tape, then reverse engrave the outline of the words I need (in this case it would be "Cubscout Pack 333, Pinewood Derby 2009, 1st Place"). I could then remove all the tape EXCEPT the tape representing the text and paint it blue. Then after the first coat dries I could remove the tape covering the letters "Cubscout Pack 333" and paint those yellow and let dry, remove the tape covering "Pinewood Derby 2009" and paint Black and let dry, and then remove the tape covering "1st Place" and paint it red. Thus, when I flip it over, I should see the aforementioned text in three different colors on a blue background and then just use four screws to attach the acrylic piece to a 9x12 wood plaque. Thus, the cost is the price of an 8x10 piece of acrylic and a 9x12 wood plaque (should be under $15, right?) and a little paint and tape.

Any suggestions, or does this sound like a good plan?

Margaret Turco
11-15-2008, 3:31 PM
Hi Steve, I would think I would vector your text out of the tape and then weed the text for each color out and paint, then remove the rest of the mask and paint the blue background. In my case, I would be worried about partially lifting any of the cut-out letters when I was removing the surrounding tape.

Steve Clarkson
11-15-2008, 3:37 PM
Good idea, thanks!

Bill Cunningham
11-15-2008, 3:57 PM
Just spray the whole back blue.. Raster out what you want in red, spray it red.. Raster out what you want in yellow, paint it yellow, raster out what you want in black, spray it black.. Let the blue back coat be your mask for all.. Tape is a waste of time, and too much work.. You can put a final coat of blue over the entire back when your done if you like... Use Krylon Fusion for paint..

Steve Clarkson
11-15-2008, 4:10 PM
Thanks Bill!

Gary Hair
11-17-2008, 2:09 PM
Thus, the cost is the price of an 8x10 piece of acrylic and a 9x12 wood plaque (should be under $15, right?) and a little paint and tape.

You do mean your cost of materials right? If you are selling it for $15.00 then you are about 1/8th where you should be for something as labor intensive as this.

Gary