PDA

View Full Version : any better way to make spline material?

Dave Cohen
11-14-2008, 10:06 PM
I make picture frames and jewelry boxes and sometimes put splines, also called slip-feathers. across the miters for strength and accent.

I cut the kerf for the spline with my TS and just run the frame or box through at 45 degrees.

I have created a raised bed out of melamine in my planer and plane down hardwood splines to the thickness of the TS blade kerf. When I was doing this tonight I was getting some chattering and tear out as the material got very thin.

Is there a better way to do this ?

p.s. I do have a drum sander now, but haven't tried this there, didn't want to risk getting the sanding head too close to the conveyor belt

Bill Huber
11-14-2008, 10:27 PM
I have only cut them once but I just use the table saw to cut a strip that was just over an 1/8 thick and the just use the ROS to fit it. Just had to sand a very little bit to get a tight fit.

I guess I don't understand why you would use a planner for that.

Bill Houghton
11-14-2008, 10:45 PM
I've put splines in my wood vise before and squashed 'em down to fit the kerfs. They puff up again when the water from the glue hits (assuming you're using a water based glue here...), making them fit tightly. You obviously want to do this only when they're a hair thick - at some point, in a thin frame, too much thickness would crack the wood as the spline expanded.

Dale Lesak
11-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Make a carrier for the drum sander. you can sand down to 1/64 if you need to. have to use double sided tape when yo get that thin. I use a sled made from 1/4 maisonite. and then glued a strip at the end to keep the material from sliding off. works for me.

Chip Lindley
11-14-2008, 10:55 PM
In reality, a "hair" loose would be better than too thick, when using open splines. But I suggest since you have a drum sander, to make an auxillary board of plywood or particleboard to hold your splines for sanding. The extra 3/4" thickness will belay your fears. A simple stop tacked on at front and back and sides too, will keep the spline material in place for a pass thru your sander. Several pieces could be loaded side by side of a given length and all sanded at the same time.

I LOVE jigs!! They are almost as much fun as a finished project!

Brian Effinger
11-14-2008, 11:06 PM
If you get or have access to the current Woodsmith Magazine issue, there is a tip in the first few pages for a spline shaving jig that works with a block plane. It seemed like a good idea to me.

Jim Tobias
11-15-2008, 12:24 AM
I rip them slightly oversized on the band saw and then sand them to exact thickness on the drum sander. I juts run the long strips through on their own and have no problems at 1/8th".

Jim

Dick Bringhurst
11-15-2008, 12:59 AM
I use the jig and the Drum Sander for what ever thickness I need. No problems. Dick B.