PDA

View Full Version : Wipe on Poly.

Don Selke
11-14-2008, 8:47 PM
Most of my finishing is accomplished with a HVLP spray gun using water base finishes. Today I purchased a can of Old Masters Gel oil base poly for use on a small project. The directions state to apply a liberal amount of finish with a lint free cloth and then immediately remove the excess with another clean cloth.
My question is, how do you build up a finish if you wipe off the excess? In addition, how many coats of finish do you need to apply to build up an adaquate film layer? The product has very little odor and is very easy to apply. Not having any experience with wipe on finishes, I am a little confused on the application and technique. I guess I should get out the spray gun and continue as usual.

Rich Engelhardt
11-15-2008, 10:35 PM
Hello,

Wipe on Poly.
Is really more accurately wipe off, instead of wipe on.
Figure on 3 to 6 coats to be on the safe side.

Don Selke
11-16-2008, 2:09 PM
Thanks Rich, I have been playing with the finish on scrap pieces and have applied 6 coats now and the finish is building great and looks excillent. Very easy to apply. Living here in the desert SW, with dry air and very hot weather, this finish could be a plus.

Don

Jim Becker
11-16-2008, 2:49 PM
Don, "wipe on varnishes" don't normally get "wiped off"...these are generally about 50/50 mixture of thinner and the varnish and the coating is very thin. "Gel varnishes" are not the same animal and that could account for the difference in application method.

Don Selke
11-16-2008, 7:04 PM
Thanks Jim:

I followed the direction on the container and think it is worth exploring for small projects. I have applied 6 coats now and have to admit that the finish is quite impresive. Just not used to this type of application method. It reminds me of putting shoe polish on shoes which is very seldome done any more.

Don

Howard Acheson
11-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Don, some have reported that there is an adhesion problem with gel varnishes. They are reported to be quite suseptable to chipping. I used one (don't remember the brand" for a doll crib. It was a Xmas present three years ago. Looked fine when I was done but I saw it a couple of weeks ago and there were some chips. But, my granddaughter has a way of being rough on things.

Don Selke
11-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Thanks Howard:

I will keep that in mind for future projects. In all honisty, I am going to stick with my water base products and keep on spraying. Although the finish is quite impresive, It certainly is not for any type of production work. I was looking for something to use here in the desert SW when the temperatures are high (most of the time with single digit humidity) I may pick up a can of varnish and dilute it with thinner as suggested and give that a try also.

Don