PDA

View Full Version : Mini Birdhouses

Bernie Weishapl
11-14-2008, 7:15 PM
Well here are few mini birdhouse ornaments that I turned getting ready for Christmas. These are just different scraps of wood I had around the shop that I saved. Tops are maple, ambrosia maple and cedar. Bottoms are in order bocote, walnut, cocobolo, elm, 2 purple heart and yellow heart. Birds were bought at hobby lobby. The ones last year without birds didn't sell but the ones that I put the birds on did so this year they are all getting them. They are finished with lacquer.

Mitchell Cholewinski
11-14-2008, 7:20 PM
Bernie
Beautiful work, each and everyone of them. I like them all. Hope you sell a ton. Mitch

Caleb SimonyiGindele
11-14-2008, 7:22 PM
Those look great! I like the roofs and the simple shape of the bottoms. What are the dimensions, Bernie? And what do you usually finish them with?

Bernie Weishapl
11-14-2008, 7:33 PM
Those look great! I like the roofs and the simple shape of the bottoms. What are the dimensions, Bernie? And what do you usually finish them with?

Caleb I turn the body out of 2 X 2 squares 4" to 5" long and the tops are turned from either 3 X 3 or 2 1/2 X 2 1/2 squares. Most I turn are 3" to 4" long and the body is 1 1/2" in diameter. All are finished with rattle can lacquer. The Yellow Heart one is finished with shellac and buffed with clear shoe polish. Bonnie Klien and Cindy Drozda told me about it as it has carnuba and bees wax. Buffs out really nice.

Duff Bement
11-14-2008, 7:35 PM
I made the mistake of showing my wife your pictures. Looks like I get to try my hand at bird houses. The ones you posted look GREAT!

Tony De Masi
11-14-2008, 7:36 PM
Very nice Bernie. I especially like the PH with the cedar top. And I see you've been texturing too. :D

Tony

michael gallagher
11-14-2008, 8:07 PM
Bernie - nice job on the birdhouses, I really like them. Gave me a thought of what to do with the random scrap pieces of wood I have lying around the shop. Hope you sell all of them!

David Drickhamer
11-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Great looking bird houses Bernie. I've got to try my hand making some. Hope they turn out as well as yours.
Dave

Steve Schlumpf
11-14-2008, 11:17 PM
Beautiful birdhouses Bernie! Love the wood colors and also like the textured roofs!

Are these for the gallery tree you are to decorate? Best of luck with that! Hope you sell every turning and get orders for lots more!

Looking forward to seeing your gallery setup - once completed!

Dan Oliphant
11-14-2008, 11:19 PM
I really like those Bernie. Well done.

Leo Van Der Loo
11-15-2008, 3:38 AM
Nice work Bernie, I've been making them for a few years now, I did make pile of them, and I have just 2 left over, so I'll have to get in gear and make some more, I know I promised to make some for a customer as she wanted a few and I didn't have but two or three that time, I do like turning them, they are fun.
What did you use for the texturing Bernie ??

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the comments. Yes Steve these are for the tree at the art gallery. She wants to decorate a whole tree with my ornaments.

Leo these are fun and easy to make. I really enjoy doing them and kids love'em. I used a wagner texture tool on them I got from CSUSA. I could not justify the sorby texturing tool. I got the 1/4 X 16 and the 3/8 X 16. There is a instructional video on this page. Works pretty slick.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Special_Purpose_Tools___Wagner_Tex turing_Tool___wagner_texturing?Args=

Allen Neighbors
11-15-2008, 2:14 PM
Nice birdhouses, Bernie... Those are really cute ornaments.
Man, you must have some kind of patience... either that, or you've got way too much time on your hands. :D

robert hainstock
11-15-2008, 2:31 PM
Absolutly TOP drawer! :D
Bob

Eugene Wigley
11-15-2008, 8:20 PM
Very nice Bernie. I will try my hand at making some of those for Christmas.

mike fuson
11-15-2008, 9:05 PM
Very nice indeed, I like the one with the textured roof the best.

Jeff Nicol
11-15-2008, 9:13 PM
Bernie, I made a few last year and they all sold right away! So My cousin has been on me to get more for this year, I need to clone myself again!! Yours are wonderful and I like the little birds too! Keep up the good work!

Jeff

Duff Bement
11-16-2008, 12:12 PM
What are the approx. dimension ( bottom, roof and inside) do you drill the inside or turn it and is inside finished?

Eugene Malone
11-16-2008, 4:39 PM
Bernie, lovely set of birdhouses, I was trying to make one just todaywhich is Sunday here in Ireland, I know some years ago it would be frowned upon to do this on a Sunday.
I managed to make one which I will treasure for ever. It's not nearly as good as yours, but there is great satisfaction in finishing one. I hope to make lots more as I always seem to have plenty of bits of wood. Yours are a great inspiration to me and I have downloaded a picture for the workshop to keep me going, I am just a hobbiest so your sales are safe but I hope you "Clean Up" this Christmas . Good Health, REgards Eugene .

Steve Mawson
11-16-2008, 5:02 PM
Great ornaments Bernie. I don't know why I keep looking at this forum. I have more projects that I will ever get done. Yes I do, this vortex is a lot of fun. Keep them coming.

Bernie Weishapl
11-16-2008, 5:13 PM
Thanks again for the kinds words. Yes they are a ball to make and very easy.

What are the approx. dimension ( bottom, roof and inside) do you drill the inside or turn it and is inside finished?

Duff I start with a 2 x 2 block about 4" long for the body. The bodies when finished are around 2 1/2" to 3" long and 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" across. The roof is made from 3 X 3 stock around 3" long. I turn both the body and the roof round put a tenon and chuck it up. Most times if I am not under a deadline I will hollow the inside by turning it. Since I have to have these done by next weekend and with a full time job I used a forstner bit about 1 5/8" deep. I leave the walls right at 3/8" thick as you don't want them to heavy. The tops are 1 1/4" to 2 1/2" depending on style. I don't finish the inside. Where the body is attached to the top I just carve out a little wood kinda like doing a bowl to rid some weight. Then take a scraper and make a cut sneaking up on the size so the body fits fairly snug but not tight. You don't want it sloppy. The two holes are 1/2" for the bird hole and the perch is drilled at just a hair under 3/16" and use a 3/16" dowel 1 1/2" long. Touch of CA or Titebond holds perch in place. I use titebond on the roof's.

As for the finish I just use rattle can lacquer. I can put 3 coats on in a hour and they are done except for putting the birds on. I got those at Michael's hobby store. The first ones I made didn't sell at all with no birds. I put the birds on and they sold before anything else. Go figure. The kids love'em.

Hope this helps Duff.

Duff Bement
11-16-2008, 8:40 PM
Thanks for the measurements. I'm putting a new pulley on my lathe but will post some pictures when I get some made.
Duff

Don Carter
11-16-2008, 8:49 PM
Bernie:
Those look great! And thanks for the small tutorial. I gotta make some of these.
All the best.

Don

Steven DeMars
12-03-2008, 10:56 PM
I just got the wife some Wagner Tools ordered as you suggested. She wants to make bird house ornaments . . . . Yours are really nice . . .:)

I think the Wagner Tools will find many uses . . .

Steve

Pete Jordan
12-03-2008, 10:59 PM
I am so proud of you Bernie!

You are an inspiration!

Neal Addy
12-03-2008, 11:10 PM
I always look forward to your Christmas birdie condo's, Bernie. You're the one who got me hooked on 'em.

Great work on these!

Nathan Camp
12-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Bernie,

They look great.

Nathan

John Terefenko
12-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Bernie

I love them and I too have been making them and sold quite a few already. Where did you get your birds from??? They seem to be better colored than mine and what size are they?? Thanks for the reply.

Skip Spaulding
12-04-2008, 9:23 PM
Great bird houses Bernie! By the way do you ever sleep?! Have a Merry Christmas, Skip

John Terefenko
12-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Bernie

Where did you get your birds from??? Thanks.

Bernie Weishapl
12-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Bernie

Where did you get your birds from??? Thanks.

John I get them from Michael's. They have a pretty good selection. I get the smaller size. You can tell which one's you need when you see them. They have all different kinds and colors.

John Terefenko
12-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks Bernie. Will be making a trip to Michaels.