PDA

View Full Version : Slot Mortiser Recommendations...

Jeff Duncan
11-14-2008, 6:04 PM
I'm looking to pick up a slot mortiser within the next month or so. From some of the past posts I've read I know there are a couple guys here that have them. So my question is what do you own, or have used in the past, and how do/did you like it?
So far I'm leaning towards either a Bini or Griggio. Both will stretch my budget, but I'd rather buy once this time around;)
I've heard not so great stuff about the Invicta and Laguna machines so those are probably low on my list. And for some reason Felder takes several months to get one??? Don't know why, but it's annoying as their pricing is much more attractive. Oh and not looking for a multi-router or similar, for my purposes I need a bigger floor model machine.
thanks for any insight....
JeffD

Frank Drew
11-14-2008, 6:18 PM
Jeff

I think you're on the right track; I've been surprised by some of the rather negative reports about the Laguna, particularly.

I had a CM-72-TG, and Italian machine that may or may not still be imported. I bought it in around 1983 from a dealer in New Hampshire, I think. I liked the machine a lot and it made mortising SO much easier and quicker than with any other method I'd used before. Tip: get an air gun to keep the mortise-in-progress blown clear of chips between plunges/sweeps so that you're not constantly recutting the same wood.

Are you looking new or used? Have you looked up what's available on ExFactory?

Let us know what you get, and what you think about it.

Frank Drew
11-14-2008, 6:32 PM
And on mine the table went left/right and the motor head with the bit went in and out. I mostly used HSS two flute spiral upcut end mills from Ekstrom Carlson. Mine came with a tilting table but I think I only used it once, for some louvered shutters. Another time I did the same job with a jig and the table level and it worked fine.

Mike Heidrick
11-14-2008, 6:38 PM
I've heard not so great stuff about the Invicta and Laguna machines so those are probably low on my list.

I do not know much about the slot mortisers of the big boys. I know I have played wth the LBM200 Laguna and it seems like a dream machine. Also the Invitca is highly recommended in the lower $ range. What have you heard that you do not like?

I just bought a Platnium Laguna slot mortiser and it is not nearly as nice as a real LBM200 one but seriously cost 1/4th as much and is good enough for my wants.

Jeff Duncan
11-14-2008, 6:55 PM
Frank, you have me wondering if yours was made by Bini? I was told by the dealer they manufacture them for several brands, and the one I'm looking at is a CM80/TI. I would love to find a decent one in used condition but they seem few and far between. I can guarantee you they'll be a top of the line one in great condition available within a few months of my buying one though:(
Mike, on another Forum someone posted that they heard the Laguna had some sloppiness in the tables. That same poster looked one over in Atlanta and found it to be true. I've heard in general people either love or hate Laguna for several reasons which always makes me nervous about buying from a company. I agree though that it looks pretty slick in their web site video.
As far as the Invicta, it is very reasonable priced but I've heard from 2 people using them that there is some runout which leaves a ragged edge. I haven't completely ruled anything out but I know from experience buying a cheaper machine sometimes cost you much more in the long run.
thanks,
JeffD

Frank Drew
11-14-2008, 7:34 PM
Jeff,

The only identification on mine was Costruzione Mecchaniche (CM); not much help since that means, basically, mechanical construction, or machine construction. So your guess about Bini might be right on the money. And the machine model numbers are, of course, very similar. Do you have access to a photo?

Philip Glover
11-14-2008, 8:02 PM
Jeff,
There are a number of good machines out there.
The important thing with these is to get one that has a moving head and stationary table.
It is very difficult to deal with large / long pieces on a moving table type of machine.

Regards,
phil

Steve Rozmiarek
11-14-2008, 8:44 PM
Jeff,
There are a number of good machines out there.
The important thing with these is to get one that has a moving head and stationary table.
It is very difficult to deal with large / long pieces on a moving table type of machine.

Regards,
phil

Phil, I'm new to slot mortisers, but I think all moving table types are not created equal apparently. I have the Felder attachment for my CF 741, which is a HEAVY and precise machine. I built a HEAVY cart to help attach to the machine, probably weighs 60#. Last night I was goofing with it, and with the cart clamped to the table, the mortiser worked just the same as a small piece of wood. To clarify, I easily lifted the cart buy raising the table, then moved it as a workpiece would have been.

I can see the advantage of a constant amount of resistance in the moving of the head rather then the work, but, I also think that it may not be that big of a deal. As I said though, I'm new to these, and could be wrong.

I do know good quality when I see it though, and while I only have the attachment, after seeing how Felder built my machine, I would bet that the dedicated machines are top notch.

Frank Drew
11-14-2008, 8:59 PM
Jeff,

Without denying that there are no doubt better machines than the one I had, I never had much trouble doing a great variety of work of all sizes on mine.

Philip Glover
11-14-2008, 9:38 PM
If only compact / short parts are machined, the moving table is good.
If, for instance, bed components are machined which overhang the moving table by six to seven feet, supporting the part and clamping the part so that it does not shift at all on the table becomes much more difficult than it is on a stationary table. I know this from using both types of slot mortisers - it's an expensive lesson to learn.
I am not saying that some moving table machines are not good quality or anything like that, they're just more difficult when slotting very long parts.

Regards,
Phil

Jeff Duncan
11-17-2008, 2:28 PM
Frank, I have a really poor quality pic the importer sent me, not even worth the time it took them to send it. You can't see much of anything, also the lack of real info was not very comforting. For a machine that cost close to $5k there's really very little to go on. This has kinda put me off my original openness to buying new. I also looked into what these machines cost new in Europe and realize that a very large percentage of the price is dealer markup/shipping. I spent a lot of time re-thinking my needs this weekend and realize it's a large investment for an occasional use machine.
I also received several more offers over the weekend which has helped the used side to look more promising. I now have a choice between 2 Maka oscillating mortisers, (slightly different machine but certainly worth my consideration), a used Bini, a used Griggio and (you'll like this...) a used CM-72. Still awaiting prices on a couple but I've now cut my cost in half or possibly less.
As far as the head vs table argument, I guess not having used either I don't have a strong opinion either way. My first 2 jobs for the machine will consist of about 15 interior panel doors with several additional wall panels in the same style. My biggest decision now is whether to stick with my original idea of using floating tenon construction with the slot mortiser, or go back to mortise and tenon with the oscillating chisel mortiser? Decisions decisions???

thanks guys,
JeffD

Peter Quinn
11-17-2008, 7:20 PM
You can still use M&T construction with a slot mortiser, you either need to square up the mortises or round over the tenons. At work last month we built a series of teak tables whose mortises were cut on a Bridgeport, and integral tenons were made whose shoulders were rounded over on a router table. Just takes a little work with a file to get the last 1/4" rounded over, not bad really. On wood other than teak we often use the bridgeport like a slot mortiser to mill 5/8" mortises for exterior doors and square up the mortises with a chisel mortiser after, much easier and more accurate than trying to use the chisel mortiser alone to punch deep 5/8" mortises. I use my slot mortiser in my home shop to machine 1/4"-1/2" mortises that I square up using a drill press attachment. It works well enough that I haven't bothered getting even a bench top mortiser for the purpose. A chisel can also make due depending on the time available and your willingness to use a chisel.

I can say that even my Laguna Platinum slot mortiser is much faster to setup and use than any other method of making a mortise I have used short of the Bridgeport, but I cannot fit a Bridgeport in my basement shop!:D

I have the moving table design, I think the moving head is a far superior design in every way but also much more expensive typically, and the moving table design can be overcome for use on long parts with a creative application of roller stands and adjustable height saw horses.