PDA

View Full Version : Shop Made Veneer

Jay Jolliffe
11-14-2008, 5:28 PM
What glue would you use for shop made veneer. :confused:

Frank Drew
11-14-2008, 5:50 PM
Jay,

Assuming that the moisture content is suitable for veneering and that the gluing surface is fairly smooth, for flat work I'd use whatever glue was most handy -- white, yellow, powdered resin glue, the specialty glues sold for veneering, etc. In other words, I don't think I'd treat shop-made veneer any differently than purchased stuff. [Maybe there's something that's not occurring to me, though.]

For bent laminations I'd probably stick to powdered resin or whatever other glue had the least cold creep.

Jay Jolliffe
11-14-2008, 7:45 PM
Just wondering because the cold press glue from Joe Woodworker says not to be used with shop made veneer. So I guess Unibond would work.

Dave Malen
11-14-2008, 10:08 PM
reccommends a resin glue like unibond for shop made veneers. I prefer it to cold press veneer glue because it isn't effected by water or water based glues.
Dave

Don Kondra
11-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Very generally speaking, I use PVA (Dural) for light woods and hide glue for dark woods..

If I am laminating onto baltic birch ply I go no thicker than 3/32", onto solids it only depends on how many "matches" you need/can cut from your blank.

The back side of either method is balanced with possibly a lesser wood but the same thickness as the face....

Cheers, Don