PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Out of Delta Planer

Bruce Foley
05-31-2004, 10:08 AM
Oh boy- now I directly understand what "letting the smoke out" of a motor really means. It seems that to release this captive smoke, one has to use a piece of equipment just long enough to be out of warranty and just long enough to be two models behind the current market.

I thought that I was really fortunate when this Delta 22-560 was originally purchased: First that I was able to get an after-Thanksgiving Day Sale and a second Ebate from a now-defunct online retailer. I had saved approximately about $100. Now it looks like retribution is due for the deed!

I was planing some clear pine for jamb extensions and all of a sudden I smell smoke, feel the feedrate drop, and see armature sparks! Arrrg! Nope the blades look OK. Nope the brushes look OK too! I take it apart and the belt and pulley look OK. It now looks like the motor truly is trashed.

What is the consensus of the collective wisdom of SMC'ers? Do I try to replace the motor or forget it and get a new planer? This was the first model that had the cutterhead lock. I loved this planer with virtually no snipe! :(

Thanks in advance for your input.
Bruce Foley

John Miliunas
05-31-2004, 10:41 AM
"New and improved" is always nice, but if you were otherwise happy with the unit, I'd say to contact Delta and explain to them what happened. Best case: There may have been some known OEM defect with the motors and they'll ship you one at no cost. :) Next scenario: No known defects from the OEM, but you find out how much a new motor is and figure it's worth the replacement cost. :) Worst case: Neither of the above. :( No recalls, too expensive to fix, so you go get yourself a new Dewalt with the two speeds and 3-knife cutterhead! :D In any event, it sounds like you do use a planer enough to justify the last option, but if one of the first two are viable, that's cool, too. Kinda' hard to get along without a planer, IMHO. Keep us posted on the outcome. :cool:

Byron Trantham
05-31-2004, 10:47 AM
Bruce, I know what you mean. I owned one of those and loved it. I replaced it with a DeWalt 13" (I do have trouble with snipe on this one). I sold the Delta to my brother-in-law. :cool:

Since the motor is probably the lion's share of the unit's cost, it would probably be wise to not "throw good money after bad."