PDA

View Full Version : ups freight

Christopher Kanda
11-14-2008, 4:46 PM
Has anyone had any experience with UPS Freight for their delivery of Grizzly tools?

Scott Wigginton
11-14-2008, 5:06 PM
My only experience is when they called today at lunch to say my jointer had arrived, too bad I can't pick it up today so now I gotta wait till next weekend :mad:

Too bad I can't blame guys for not working on the weekend 'cause I don't either.

Cary Falk
11-14-2008, 5:44 PM
I had a Shop Fox W1741 jointer shipped last weekend. I picked it up at the terminal. I have a very low opinion of UPS but the jointer made it with only a couple of small tears in the boxes. Nothing inside was damaged. My Grizzly stuff is delivered by FedEx freight. They are great to work with.

Frank Schambach
11-14-2008, 6:03 PM
I had a GO454Z planer (920 lbs) delivered by UPS Freight in April and a GO480 jointer (977lbs) delivered about two weeks ago. I payed Grizzly for lift gate service in both cases ($35). Both machines were brought to the end of my driveway at prearranged times. The drivers were courteous and the machines were in perfect condition. So I couldn't be happier with UPS, and Grizzly.

Ben Franz
11-14-2008, 7:35 PM
Oneida Air shipped my DC by UPS freight. On day of scheduled delivery, I verified web tracking by calling customer service. Driver never showed. Finally called local terminal and I was told that delivery was next day. After a lot of hassle, terminal manager agreed to send his driver back out to my area (1 hr. out of town). When the driver got there, he said he was the regular driver for our area and that he'd been nearby earlier in the day and had room for my shipment - they just didn't load it that morning. My only experience with them was so-so; Fed-ex freight seems much more reliable.

Mark McGee
11-14-2008, 7:39 PM
I have had several Grizzly items arrive by UPS freight this year. There have been two different drivers and both of them helped me get the crates up to my garage. I tipped the drivers 10 dollars for that. One of the drivers offered to help me get the 0514X2 bandsaw to the basement after I told him I would try to do it by myself later. We used my handcart to pull that bandsaw though the yard to the basement doors and I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I tipped him 20 dollars. I could not have done it without his help as I nearly bit off more bandsaw than I could move. As for shipping damage, the crates are usually a little beat up, but the contents are fine. Items I have received from UPS freight this year:

G0490 Jointer
G0514X2 Bandsaw
G0548 D.C.
G0651 Tablesaw
G0658 Lathe
G1276 Sander

All arrived undamaged.

glenn bradley
11-14-2008, 7:53 PM
I'm sure its different depending on driver, the driver's boss and so forth. FedEx Freight was great for me too and this helps you not a lick on your UPS question. Just for fun though, the FedEx guy backed his tractor trailer into my suburbia-ville driveway, put the G0490X on the tailgate, lowered it and back in a little more setting the crate right in my garage. Pretty impressive.

Anthony Whitesell
11-14-2008, 8:51 PM
Grizzly shipped my G0490 jointer via UPS Freight and I picked it up at the terminal. The people at the terminal were friendly and helpful. The crate was in good shape, but the cardboard box was destroyed. Luckily there was no damage and all the parts and pieces were there. I put the crate on a snowmobile trailer with the forklift and he helped me load the base in the truck bed with a cap on (ie., actual lifting was involved which they are not required to do).

I'm actually a little disappointed with Grizzly though. I found out while putting the jointer bed on the base that the bed was supposed to have been bolted to the bottom of the crate. I only leanred of this because of the odd bolt that fell on the ground (the other was still stuck in the jointer). There were no nuts to be found. Now I know what the two holes in the bottom of the crate were for. I wonder how long the jointer was unsecured during the shipment.

Peter Quinn
11-14-2008, 9:15 PM
I got a shop fox molder delivered ups freight. It came when they sais it would and the driver was very curteous and helpful. Good experience.

Jim Kountz
11-15-2008, 6:24 AM
I just took delivery of two items a bandsaw and a jointer and both arrived in only three days and were in perfect condition. Both came UPS.

Scott Myers
11-15-2008, 7:07 AM
I've used UPS freight, Fed-Ex freight and many others over the years for personal and professional purposes. I've had good and bad experiences with many of them. It just comes down to the individuls at the terminals and the particular drivers who touched your frieght.

On UPS freight specifically, the've done well by me when I have used them. Can't complain.

Matt Ranum
11-15-2008, 7:51 AM
as someone who worked for a parcel delivery service here in the midwest, I can tell you that when it comes to packing and shipping a package. When you think you have it packaged good enough to prevent damage. Do it some more. The local terminal was real good with handling but I used to haul to and from the main distribution hub every night and saw unbelievable things. How anything makes it without damage is a major question.:eek:

With larger freight I would think the items being shipped would survive better, and most delivery drivers are very supportive if the customer isn't a jerk anyway.

Jack Briggs
11-15-2008, 8:03 AM
I am awaiting a UPS Freight delivery of a steel rack unit from Grizzly at this time. They were supposed to deliver this past Wednesday, but the driver called and told me he knew that he couldn't get his rig into my subdivision and I'd have to call the center to reschedule delivery. He also said that this redelivery would carry an additional charge of "at least $65", but that I could negotiate with them.

I did call UPS Freight that evening to get the lowdown and was told that there "more than likely" would be a $65 (minimum) additional charge. Someone would be in touch with me. Thursday evening, UPS Freight called me to inform me of the additional charge, which I had contested, saying that I had had deliveries from tractor-trailers before, but couldn't say what size trailers were brought into my subdivision. How could I be responsible for that information? She told me that they would contact Grizzly (who I had suggested split the additional charge with me) and get back to me. Friday night customer service from Grizzly called me to say that they had been in touch with UPS Freight and there would be an additional charge of $65 to redeliver the rack set. I asked her for Grizzly to split the charge with me. She said "I'll have to put in the request and get back to you on Monday".

This has gone back and forth for four days now. Meantime, I'd put aside my production for several hours to make accommodations for the new rack, which hasn't arrived yet.

I've had other freight companies go out of their way to make the delivery. They don't get anywhere with their warehouses holding undelivered freight. UPS Freight is not going out of their way to resolve the issue. Problem for me is I don't have a pickup truck or I'd just go pickup at UPS Freight warehouse.

Cheers,

Andy Casiello
11-15-2008, 8:34 AM
The service itself is fine. I've had them for three different deliveries from Grizzly, and they deliver pretty quickly, and are easy to work with. I agree with others who said that it depends on the individual driver. I had one driver who, because I live in a tightly packed old section of a city, actually hand-carted my jointer five blocks from where he had to park the truck. Another driver, however, tried repeatedly to smash a pallet jack under my table saw pallet while it was still on his truck, until I cried-out plaintively that I'd do it myself with a couple friends (who were standing right there).

Grizzly crating is not the greatest. My band saw came completely crated, but the wood is really thin and the crate was cracked in several places. Same with the table saw.

None of my Grizzly stuff ever arrived damaged, however, so despite the boxes showing up banged up and on end-of-life, the equipment arrived in great shape.

Christopher Kanda
11-15-2008, 9:51 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I ordered the G0490 jointer through Ebay for the cash back. I will have to get the liftgate service as well so I can get some help later getting the beast down into the basement. I got my 10223slx saw down there with just one helper a couple of years ago. Does anyone have pictures of the G0490 crates and assembly of the machine that I can view. Thanks everyone and have a great weekend.

Cary Falk
11-15-2008, 10:34 AM
[quote=Christopher Kanda;968620]Does anyone have pictures of the G0490 crates and assembly of the machine that I can view.[quote]

Not a G0490 but should be close enough(W1741). I'll withhold the final picture because you want to see an assembled G0490.:D The bottom of the box was due to me not UPS. It got caught on the pallet when we were trying to get it out of the back of the truck
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0437.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0438.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0439.jpg

Andy Casiello
11-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I ordered the G0490 jointer through Ebay for the cash back. I will have to get the liftgate service as well so I can get some help later getting the beast down into the basement. I got my 10223slx saw down there with just one helper a couple of years ago. Does anyone have pictures of the G0490 crates and assembly of the machine that I can view. Thanks everyone and have a great weekend.

One thing that Grizzly could do better at is integrate the ebay sales with the sales via their website. What I mean is that I've bought from them directly, and can track my purchases on Grizzly's website. When you buy through eBay, your order is processed through Grizzly's "ebay team", and regular Grizzly customer service can't find the orders sometimes, and it takes longer (doesn't ship same day like direct orders) to get the order shipped. It's clear that instead of integrating ebay sales, Grizzly has "tacked on" an ebay team that is outside certain normal processes.

The MS Live cashback discount makes the modest additional delay certainly worthwhile, but I hope that Grizzly improves that operation.

Jeff Mohr
11-15-2008, 11:11 AM
The MS Live cashback discount makes the modest additional delay certainly worthwhile, but I hope that Grizzly improves that operation.

Yes it does..... ;)

John Stan
11-15-2008, 2:52 PM
The UPS Freight that I have dealt with has been great. Whatever he delivers he will place exactly where I want it in my garage. He also calls me 30 minutes before he gets to my house. The past two times, he actually called me from my house and waited for me to drive home frrom work (15 minutes away). I have tiped him 20 bucks each time he delivers something. He seems to really live delivering stuff to my house. So far he has delivered a Grizzly jointer, Oneida Dust Collection, a Saw Stop, and a very large and heavy ceramic grill.
Of course your mileage might vary.

Sonny Edmonds
11-15-2008, 3:04 PM
My only experience is when they called today at lunch to say my jointer had arrived, too bad I can't pick it up today so now I gotta wait till next weekend :mad:

Too bad I can't blame guys for not working on the weekend 'cause I don't either.

I bet they aren't going to be working next weekend either.
Nor the one after that... :rolleyes:

Cindy Rhoades
11-16-2008, 12:04 PM
I just got my new Grizzley planer/moulder Friday by UPS freight and the guy was good because I live in a rural area that has narrow roads he passed the house and had to turn around at a T at the end but did it very quickly. He was here within the time set and was helpful in unloading it because we had to put it in a pickup to take to the garage because semi wouldn't fit in driveway.

Robert Chapman
11-16-2008, 8:29 PM
I've had mixed experiences with UPS - don't know where the damage occurred - and consistently good experiences with Fedex. I'm referring to both large and small packages.