PDA

View Full Version : Antler pens

Mark Hix
11-14-2008, 3:47 PM
I am doing my first show tomorrow just to see if I like it. I am not going all out, just the basics. I finished these two this morning. I have sold alot of antler pens and keep getting requests for pens with bark on them. This is different for me and I feel like I should teach them to sit before I send them out in the world. As always, your comments are always helpful.

Steve Schlumpf
11-14-2008, 3:59 PM
Beautiful pens Mark! Very organic look to them! The colors and texture is something that can't be mimicked with acrylics! Very nice work!

Best of luck with your show tomorrow! Hope you sell everything you take and receive orders that will keep you busy until spring! Take some photos of your show setup if you can!

Greg Just
11-14-2008, 4:39 PM
Mark:

Great looking pens and good luck with your show. Any tips on turning antler? I'm about to try one for the first time myself.

Greg

Bernie Weishapl
11-14-2008, 6:16 PM
Great looking pens. Good luck on your show.

Mark Hix
11-14-2008, 7:22 PM
Thanks guys.
The number one tip for turning antler: hold your nose. This was very dry; 30 years dry, and it still stunk bad. I don't have a dust collection system (yet) so I blow a fan side to side across my lathe when I turn.

Like all things, sharp is important. I use a small gouge and then a skew. The smaller the diameter you start with, the less marrow you have to contend with. Different types of antler turn different from each other. You can bleach it with peroxide and it is possible to straighten it. It is easier to drill for pens if you first turn it into a round. The dust off the skew is very fine so you don't want to breath it if you can avoid it. There is alot of variation in color so if you are going to turn multiple pieces, try to harvest it off the same set of antlers. Colors range is broader than you might think: snow white, black, all shades between, pink tones, green tones sometimes show up. I have not researched it but it probably has something to do w/ diet or minerals.

Sorry, I got long winded. I won't let it happen again.

Skip Spaulding
11-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Pens look great and thanks for the info. I also have antler yet to be turned. Seeing your beautiful results may inspire me to give it a try, thanks!

Jerry Lawrence
11-14-2008, 11:45 PM
Mark, nice pens! Hope you have a fun and profitable show. Where do you get your antler? Any hunters I've asked about it would rather give up their rifles than their antlers!

Mark Hix
11-15-2008, 8:37 PM
Thanks again for the kind words. The show was both a success and a bust. I did it just to see if I really wanted to do shows. My setup was small; some bowls, some lidded boxes and some pens.

Jerry, I get alot of antler from my brother. He is a taxidermist. These pens were the last of some that a friend of my grandfather shot over 30 years ago. It was still tagged. I have traded pens for antlers too. You can find it in flea markets, garage sales or as sheds if you go to the where the deer are. The last choice it to buy it. There are several dealers on th e net and if you shop around, you can get a good deal.