PDA

View Full Version : Advise needed, how best to configure jointer to sell

Joe Jensen
11-14-2008, 2:45 PM
I am upgrading and need to sell my PM model 60 jointer. I bought it new in 1990. About 8 years ago I upgraded to a Tersa style cutterhead, and then a few months ago to a Byrd head. I have all three heads and one jointer. I am struggling with how to best configure it to sell. I think the real question is should I keep the Byrd in and sell or put the original in and then sell the Byrd separately. The Byrd is $425 new from Holbren. The Tersa style is around $300, not sure what it's worth resale. The original head, not sure it's worth much today, although the condition is perfect.

One logic is that many buyers would prefer the Byrd installed as they won't have to install, and it's a popular option today.

The other logic is that the jointer with stock head is worth $600 - $800, and the Byrd alone is $250-300. Selling separate will max revenue.

Thoughts? The jointer is a gold PM bought new by me in 1990 and only used in my hobby shop. Excellent condition. Please don't suggest prices, I will price to sell quick in the Phoenix Craig's list market.

I am leaning towards putting the original head in and selling on Craig's list, and then selling the head on EBAY? Thoughts? If' the delta is less than $100 I may just sell with the Byrd in as that's how it sits today.

Doug Shepard
11-14-2008, 3:54 PM
I am leaning towards putting the original head in and selling on Craig's list, and then selling the head on EBAY? ...

That one makes the most sense to me. I doubt you'd ever sell the original head otherwise. There's sure to be owners with the original that would do an upgrade to either the Tersa or Byrd, but who's going to buy the original??

glenn bradley
11-14-2008, 4:07 PM
I'm with Doug. The jointer buyer may come back for the head(?).

Steve Clardy
11-14-2008, 6:13 PM
That one makes the most sense to me. I doubt you'd ever sell the original head otherwise. There's sure to be owners with the original that would do an upgrade to either the Tersa or Byrd, but who's going to buy the original??

Ditto......

Frank Drew
11-14-2008, 6:39 PM
So that you don't take a loss on the extras you've invested in, you could sell it with the original head but offer the new buyer the option of also buying the other one or two heads. If he or she declines the add-ons you're still free to sell them on Ebay.

Matt Meiser
11-14-2008, 6:51 PM
I'm with Frank. Get a buyer interested at in stock condition, then offer the goodies. You might find interest on those heads here or on the OWWM site too as there are a lot of PM60's out there. If it was a 50, you'd already have a PM from me inquiring on the price.

Don Abele
11-14-2008, 6:55 PM
Joe, earlier this year I bought a Hammer J/P combo because I needed a jointer wider than my 6" Jet. Last year though, I upgraded the Jet with a Byrd head.

My thought is to list them as a unit for X dollars OR for Y dollars with the original head in the same ad. If someone chooses not to want to pay the increase for the Byrd head, then I would remove it, reinstall the original head, and sell it that way, then sell the Byrd head separately. I'm hoping to not have to take it all apart again though (especially pulling the bearings).

Right now I'm in VA and the shop is still in MA, so I have some time (like until next summer) to think it through, but that's my plan right now.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out (since I'll be doing the same thing soon).

Be well,

Doc

Mike Heidrick
11-14-2008, 11:27 PM
With CL ads I am a contact and go pick up right away guy. If you list it with a different head it may be difficult to change it in time. Guess you could always schedule around it.

I would sell it for the money I want with the Byrd and spend my time doing stuff for me or the family. Free time is more valuable than a few $.