PDA

View Full Version : Anchorage

Arvin Brown
05-31-2004, 4:09 AM
I will be traveling to Anchorage, Alaska (actually going there to do a little fishing) and was wondering if there was any woodworking place I need to visit while there?

Todd Burch
05-31-2004, 9:50 AM
Hi Arvin. You might try looking up a totem pole carver, a snowshoe maker, or a sled maker (sled dog races). Anchorage is a pretty big town, so I would think your chances would be good.

Richard McComas, a creeker, is from Eagle River, which is just outside of Anchorage.

I was born in Anchorage ('62) and left in '75. So, I was only 12 when we left, and hadn't discovered woodworking yet. I had carved a little soapstone by then, as that is pretty popular there. Maybe there's a hockey-stick factory up there somewhere?

Going for salmon? What river? You should have a blast!

Arvin Brown
05-31-2004, 1:11 PM
:) :) Going to fish with Guth's Lodge on the Iliamma River which is at the North end of Lake Iliamma. Going to fly into Anchorage and then take a float plane 1-1/2 hours west (almost due west from Homer and Seldovia on the west side of Cook Inlet). Going to fish for King Salmon, Rainbow Trout, Halibut, and a little sockeye salmon. Getting exceited about the trip - been in the planning for four years. Going with my Father and two brothers - NO WOMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

Bruce Page
05-31-2004, 1:43 PM
I just checked out the Guth's Lodge website, MAN is that gorgeous country! The “bay full of fish” in the 2003 gallery is incredible. I will be on Kodiak Island the better part of July (if the schedule holds).

Richard McComas
05-31-2004, 3:08 PM
Been there, done that, Fishing on the Iliamma that is. Used to fish that in the mid 70 when my dad and I had a float plane. Fishing was great back then and probably still is, haven't been there is years. My dad was killed in a plan crash and I quit flying. Not because I'm afraid of flying but it got to be to expensive a hobby for me to finance without a someone to help share expenses, especially after paying off the plane that was destroyed in the cash (no insurance).

As far a woodworking around Anchorage there's really not much, at least that I know off. I'll check around a see if I can find anything that might be of interest and let you know.

There is a guy that does carve animal and other "stuff'" with a chain saw that's quite talented.

Roger Myers
05-31-2004, 4:33 PM
Hi Arvin. You might try looking up a totem pole carver,

Something like this!!

Can't remember if what town I took these in...from a trip I took to Alaska last year....everything about the trip (a cruise from Vancouver) was outstanding, and the scenery is breathtaking.

Enjoy!!!!!

Sam Chambers
06-04-2004, 1:30 AM
Arvin:

I was in Anchorage about a year ago on business. What beautiful country! And the people are very, very friendly. I've never been much of a salmon fan, but I found there's a huge difference between the farm-raised stuff we get here in Atlanta and the fresh stuff you get in Alaska. Wow!

There's a restaurant in Girdwood, just south of Anchorage, called the Double Musky. Cajun food, of all things! I wholeheartedly recommend the peppered steak! They had some very good local beers as well. It's an easy 20-30 minute drive from Anchorage, up Turnagain Arm. You'll thank me, I promise!

They have a web site: http://www.doublemuskyinn.com/framed.html

James Carmichael
06-04-2004, 12:55 PM
Arvin,

You should have put a gloat warning on this topic, I'm green with envy here!

I like WW but there should be a whole lot else to see and do up there.

Enjoy!

James