PDA

View Full Version : Band Saw

Daniel Heine
11-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Hello,

I have been looking for a band saw. My Crapsman table saw makes very rough cuts, and I'm looking for a better quality cut, and I'm also looking for a saw to cut bowl blanks round before turning. What do you think of this band saw:

Band saw is at: chicago craigslist - south chicagoland - tools- bandsaw; posting ID # 918685555

Thanks for all of your help.

Dan

scott schmidt grasshopper
11-14-2008, 12:46 PM
I would ask what the HP is . I have a cheapy BS and works great. except the power is sometimes lacking at 3/4 hp . 14 inch chicago brand I made a riser for it ( 6x4 tube steel) so I can cut taller than 4.5 inches added HF roller guides and works wondermus
so questions of
HP, thickness of cut , guides,,
love the price go for it

John Bailey
11-14-2008, 1:28 PM
I think you'll find that model is 3/4 hp. Probably a little light for cutting out bowl blanks. Other than that, it tough to pass up that price as long as you know what you're getting with the appropriate level of expectations.

Michael Faurot
11-14-2008, 2:37 PM
I have been looking for a band saw. My Crapsman table saw makes very rough cuts, and I'm looking for a better quality cut . . .

If you haven't all ready tried a new/better blade than what's currently in the table saw, you may want to do that.

With a typical blade[1] on a band saw, you're not going to get smooth cuts.

[1]: Typical for me at least is a 1/2" 3 TPI blade.

John Bailey
11-14-2008, 3:26 PM
I second Mike's advice. Typically, a bandsaw cut will not match a tablesaw cut. Although they are getting better. Many years ago, when I still had a table saw, I put one of the better Craftsman blades on my table saw. I got a very smooth cut. So, I would try a different blade if a smooth cut is your goal.

John

Marcus Ward
11-14-2008, 4:33 PM
I have an incredible bandsaw that makes amazing cuts, but my tablesaw cut better. It's close, but it ain't a glue-line rip.

Frank Drew
11-15-2008, 9:38 AM
Which band saw do you have, Marcus?

Marcus Ward
11-15-2008, 11:38 AM
The Grizzly G0513X2. I would say if you were making a lamination from cuts you could do it straight off the saw without sanding but the final cut finish off the table saw was better. With everything lined up you didn't even have to joint it.