PDA

View Full Version : best 4 in belt sander

Mike Stanton
05-30-2004, 11:34 PM
What is the best 4 inch belt sander? Mike :o

David Klug
05-31-2004, 12:25 AM
Mike I have a 4" Craftsman that I have mounted in a jig that I use for shapening tools. The reason that I quit using it for regular sanding is the belts stated to get hot and it would ruin the belt. It works just fine for sharpening tools. Before the belts started getting hot I loved using it to sand large areas quickly. When it started giving me problems I decided to get a PC 4x24 because I had quite a few sanding belts that size, otherwise I would have gotten a 3x21 which would be lighter and easier to use. I like the PC real well but it sure is a hog. You have to keep it moving or it will create a gouge or dip in your work.

DK

Kirk (KC) Constable
05-31-2004, 6:21 AM
What is the best 4 inch belt sander? Mike :o

I lke the Bosch 4x24, with Klingspor sanding belts.

KC

Jim Baker
05-31-2004, 7:36 AM
I lke the Bosch 4x24, with Klingspor sanding belts.

KC

I, too have the Bosch 4 x 24 and like it very well. I can't say it's the best because it's the only one I have ever used.

Terry Quiram
05-31-2004, 8:19 AM
Mike

When my old sears 3x21 went south I replaced it with a PC 4x24. It is a great machine but let me tell you running that thing is a real chore. If you want a work out run a 4x24 for about an hour. ;)

Terry

Tyler Howell
05-31-2004, 8:53 AM
Is this for BS Racing??. My old Cman ain't worth a #$%!@ for sanding but it is fast on the the straight aways!:cool:

Richard Allen
05-31-2004, 11:24 AM
Bosch 4x24. I also recomend the sanding frame for that sander which makes it a terrific tool for flatening panels.

Ken Garlock
05-31-2004, 11:59 AM
Is this for BS Racing??. My old Cman ain't worth a #$%!@ for sanding but it is fast on the the straight aways!:cool:

Tyler, you reminded me of an old "Red Green Show" where he made a drink transporter out of a section of gutter with a belt sander running in it back and forth from the backyard shade tree to the kitchen. One of his better ideas. :D

Jim Becker
05-31-2004, 2:31 PM
PC is generally considered "King" of the belt sanders and their 4" x 24" unit is pretty much the leader. But the Bosch units are very nice and feel good. If the 4" unit is as good as the Bosch 3" x 21" I own, it should also be a winner.

Jerry Olexa
05-31-2004, 3:41 PM
Tyler, you reminded me of an old "Red Green Show" where he made a drink transporter out of a section of gutter with a belt sander running in it back and forth from the backyard shade tree to the kitchen. One of his better ideas. :D
Whatever happened to that old Red Green show? Good examples of DIYers gome bad! Good for laffs!

Christopher Pine
05-31-2004, 4:32 PM
Well I have no idea what sander is best ror actually sanding but porter cable races pretty good. :)

Tyler Howell
05-31-2004, 6:42 PM
Thanx Ken,

I consider that a compliment. " If the Women don't find you handsome at least they'll find you handy";) .
More Duct tape please!

Alright Chris!:cool: