PDA

View Full Version : Felder grand opening

Rick Fisher
11-14-2008, 2:02 AM
Chris wont post this, so I will.

I got invited to the Grand opening of the new Felder store in Nanaimo BC Canada. Its tomorrow.

:)

This is like inviting an Alchoholic on to a winery tour.

Anyhow, they sell General, Maggi, Forrest etc...

If I remember my camera, I will take a few pics.

Rod Sheridan
11-14-2008, 8:34 AM
I try not to head off to the Felder store too often.

I admit, I'm weak, it's not that I lack will power, it's the won't power I lack!

Have fun................Rod.

Mike Heidrick
11-14-2008, 9:26 AM
Mine is more like WANT Power.

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-14-2008, 9:30 AM
I'm happy for you that Felder is in your neighborhood.

Steve Rozmiarek
11-14-2008, 9:39 AM
Yikes, the website and catalogs are bad enough, seeing the loot in person must be even worse...

Rod Sheridan
11-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Once you try out the tables with X roll you'll be hooked.

My wife just shakes her head as I stand there sliding the table back and forth in a trance like state.

Then I look at the price and realize that daughter #2 isn't out of University yet, and begin to wonder how much I would get for renting her room out......

Regards, Rod.

tim rowledge
11-14-2008, 1:01 PM
Where in Nanaimo? Is this Midland Tools - they've been selling Felder for a while now.

Rick Fisher
11-14-2008, 1:39 PM
Midland lost the line, they had it for a short time. Felder wanted Midland to commit to inventory, display etc. Midland also lost the General line.

So Felder has a retail store in south Nanaimo now. I think its just called "Felder". Cant remember.

tyler mckenzie
11-14-2008, 1:47 PM
there's going to be a lot of happy wood workers on the island. slightly jealous since i just move from the island to kelowna..

Steve Rozmiarek
11-14-2008, 3:02 PM
My wife just shakes her head as I stand there sliding the table back and forth in a trance like state.

Regards, Rod.

Thats funny! The EXACT thing happend here last night!

Rick Fisher
11-14-2008, 10:06 PM
There was a technician at the showroom from Austria. He spent about 1/2 an hour with me, showing me the differences between Hammer, Felder 500, 700 and Format. Very interesting guy.

When someone explains the differences, you understand why they cost more. The X-Roll system on the sliders is awesome.

As the line increases, the brilliant ideas become more and more common. Very impressive line of tools. The Format slider with the remote control fence and blade adjustments is awesome.

He spent about 5 minutes explaining every moving part inside the edgebander. Its like a little woodworking shop in there :)

Pictures dont do these tools justice. The Hammer Planer / Jointer is a nice machine, the Felder 700 planer / Jointer is a totally different animal. In pictures, they are similar. In person.. not even close.

I believe with Felder, you do get what you pay for. There is a reason that a table saw can be $13,000.00

Chris Knudsen
11-16-2008, 12:01 PM
Thank you Rick,
both for posting this and for the time you took out of your schedule to come by our Grand Opening. I would love to have posted a message about the opening myself but decided that it was a bit too much like advertising and felt that this might be taking advantage of Sawmill Creek a bit.

Thank you to anyone else who made it to this event, it was very exciting for myself and my family (allthough the kids were upset that there were too many people for a forklift ride). The turnout was far beyond our expectations, which resulted in a successful weekend.

Thanks again to all, hope that the rest of your weekend is great.
-Chris Knudsen

Pat Germain
11-16-2008, 4:30 PM
I've seen a felder table saw only once. It belonged to a guy who sold a Unisaw to my buddy, Dewey. When we went to pick up the Unisaw, the owner showed us his shop and, as I pointed out previously, I'm pretty sure I could hear angels singing when he opened the door.

That Felder saw was just an engineering marvel. I too moved the slider back and forth in a Zen-like trance. It seemed to defy both gravity and friction.

O', if only I too could be become one with the ways of the Felder...