PDA

View Full Version : Where do you do most of your shopping online?

Dave Mura
11-14-2008, 1:04 AM
Hey guys,

I'm compiling a small list of online tool/equipment stores so I can compare prices when shopping.
I know there are website such as bizrate.com that can compare prices, but not all online stores are included.
So where do you do most of your woodworking shopping online? :)

Dewey Torres
11-14-2008, 1:46 AM
It really varies based on what I am looking for. Having said that, it is sometimes hard to beat Amazons deals, shipping, etc no matter how many sites you go to. I have prob bought more from them than any if you had to make me pick one but there are also tons of things you will need as a woodworker that they don't have.

Per Swenson
11-14-2008, 2:01 AM
Lee Valley.
Amazon.
Sorry. and Mcfeelys.

Jim Becker
11-14-2008, 7:59 AM
I would say my list matches Per's...and in that order...adding Bob Marino's Festool store (http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/) to the equation.

Another related online retailer I shop a lot at is Duluth Trading (http://www.duluthtrading.com/) (long-tail tees and mocks as well as other shirts). Great quality.

Of course, lately it seems I've been doing way too much shopping at Adams Horse Supply and Dover Saddlery, but that's a whole 'nuther story...:eek:

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-14-2008, 9:24 AM
all over the internet. Really. All over.

David G Baker
11-14-2008, 12:30 PM
I also shop all over the Internet but Amazon probably gets most of my $.
One of my Internet companies may have had their credit information compromised because my card was cancelled by my MasterCard company. They would not tell me the company that had the problem and are making me wait 8-10 days to get a new card. The wait is a problem because I live on my credit card for fuel, food, etc.

Clifford Mescher
11-14-2008, 1:26 PM
Amazon, Lee Valley,Woodworker's supply.
Buy my woodworking clothes from LL Bean. Clifford.

Tim Thomas
11-14-2008, 2:01 PM
In addition to the places already mentioned, I have had good success with this place: http://www.tools-plus.com/

I ordered some mobile bases from them as well as all of my dust collection hoses, fittings, blast gates, etc. Both times I ordered I got my items very quickly and they always charge just $6.50 for shipping no matter how much you order. Worked out great for those heavy mobile bases and for the really large boxes of dust collection hose.

The only downside to tools-plus is their website can be a bit difficult to navigate, but I have gotten excellent deals from them and excellent service, so I am willing to put up with that.

(Standard disclaimer: I have no affiliation whatsoever with tools-plus.com. I just bought stuff from them and had a good experience. Seriously.)

Jerome Hanby
11-14-2008, 2:12 PM
Ditto on Amazon. Especially if I can get the item with free shipping. Get a lot of "special" deals from Peachtree and Rockler. Good stuff I buy from Lee Valley. And this may be peculiar to me, but I like Ridgid power tools, so Home Depot is in the mix too.

jerry nazard
11-14-2008, 5:46 PM
Amazon has gotten 90% of my machine/power tool business. It is hard to beat their prices, shipping efficiency, and customer service. Just started getting some stuff from Highland Hardware in Atlanta. Anybody else buying from Highland?

-Jerry

Neal Clayton
11-14-2008, 6:20 PM
i've also ordered from tools plus without any complaints. better to call them on the phone, though, they use a hodgepodge of freight carriers some of which don't offer liftgate service from what they told me when i last ordered from them, so they need to know your shipping nuances before they choose a carrier.

btw you can use toolseeker.com to check prices.

Steve Clardy
11-14-2008, 6:34 PM
No certain place. Kinda all over. I do keep an eye om amazon though.
They have/had some killer prices on tools. Clamps, etc.

Jim O'Dell
11-14-2008, 7:28 PM
I usually decide what item I want, then do a Google search on the brand and model #. That brings up hits from all sorts of places, many lead right back to Amazon, but many don't. I always build me a pencil and paper spread sheet and show price, shipping and total. I also watch Lowe's for close out specials. Until recently, I've needed so many items, I tried to save my money and buy what was on sale at the time. I was able to get a Delta 52-580 planer for 209.00 + tax, the Biese 30" fence for 50.00, and the Hitachi 10" SCMS with lazer for 210.00 and it had a free router in the form of a rebate from Hitachi. All of these from Lowe's. I used to say the PC 8529 router for 159.00 was a good price from Lowe's, but...well, I won't go into that. That is a PC problem, not a Lowe's pricing problem. :rolleyes:
Same thing holds true for Amazon's special sales. There are some truely great prices on items at times...you just have to be ready to pounce if you see something you are wanting, and ready to wait if not.
I also love the service and items from LV, although I've not been able to spend a bunch there...yet. Supplies from McMaster-Carr are great, and very quick service. Infinity tools have some good pricing from time to time with their e-mail specials, and their close outs on bits. The main thing for me is to try to be patient. Jim.

Tom Walz
11-15-2008, 11:34 AM
A favor, please.

Could you look at our new, tool web site and offer comments?

We have been in the industrial world for 28 years and are now setting up a web site. Doing business on the Internet can be pretty cheap compared to paying salespeople to make visits so we can pass on a lot of the discounts we get as a distributor and still make a little money.

We thought we would carry complete lines of names like Whiteside, Southeast, Morris, etc. In addition we have many customers that make limited production, top end stuff. Not big name but great quality.

Mostly I just love really good tools and would like to make them as affordable and accessible as possible.

Any comments on product lines, promotions and generally what you like and don’t like about web stores would be greatly appreciated. If you reply I would be happy to send you a Whiteside 2 flute, carbide tipped, ¼” shank router bit in return. Maybe post your comments here and send me a private message with your mailing address.

Tom

Sonny Edmonds
11-15-2008, 2:53 PM
... for research and comparisons.
Then try to buy locally when I can.

I "blacklisted" one huge online retailer because of them:
A. Loosing my order.
B. Having one of their supervisors lie to me about it.
C. Watching my order sit in a rail yard in Ohio for a blessed week before it moved.
Took 13 dayz to get that order! You'd think it would behoove them to be a bit more careful with a $700+ order (A lot of turning supplies)

But anytime I buy online, I try and deal with people who have actual store fronts as well.
No Epray, no Craig's Bits.
I have always tried to support my local Mom and Pop stores, because they have a vested interest in my satisfaction with the tools I buy. And they are my neighbors. ;)

whit richardson
11-17-2008, 12:13 PM
I've done ebay with some success (you have to know your way around ebay and know the tools you are looking for, a pain for most), Rockler and Woodcraft since the mouse is closer than their stores. Other good folks are;

Woodworkers supply (not always knowledgable)
Highlandwoodworking.com (very knowledgable people and good service)
Homesteadfinishing.com - Jeff Jewitt's company.

Montgomery Scott
11-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Depends on what I want. I buy all my pen supplies from CSUSA, my veneering stuff from B&B rare woods or the woodworker joe's site, smaller tools and supplies from Lee Valley, Woodworker's Supply or Amazon.

Pat Germain
11-17-2008, 1:28 PM
- Amazon
- Bibb Tool
- Suffolk Machinery (you have to call to order, but they do have a web site.)
- Disney Shopping