PDA

View Full Version : Update on lathe stand for Nova DVR

Alan Trout
11-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Well progress has been slow but sure. I figure If I don't do it the way I want it now it will never happen. All and all it seems like it is going to be very stable. I still have a bunch of stuff to do. I need to build the ballast box, Build caster mounting brackets, and order casters, Need to install steel end caps a the end of the legs. Plus a bunch of other stuff including finishing work and paint. Here are a few pics showing progress.

The stand will be a couple of inches taller with the casters installed. Finished spindle height is planned for a little over 44".

Thanks,

Alan

Don Carter
11-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Alan:
That thing looks great! How heavy is it as it sits?

Alan Trout
11-13-2008, 11:12 PM
It is right at 180+lbs without the bed on the lathe. I have not figured total weight yet but I still need to ads sand to the tube and then the ballast box plus a bunch of other stuff on the lathe itself. I bet all up weight is going to get up there.

Thanks,

Alan

Jim Becker
11-14-2008, 8:09 AM
Alan, that's coming along nicely. Be sure you check the effect of that front bottom cross bar relative to your standing positions when using the lathe. If you feel there will be some contention, then modify the base by either moving that entire cross member back or by making it have an offset (a shallow "U" shape) that still provides a wider stance at the corners, but relieves the space in those areas where you may need to stand.

As to the casters, consider using something like the Zambus casters or similar, so that there are no wheels on the floor when you are using the lathe. It's also important to have all four corners adjustable in height as you MUST level the base and insure there is no racking in the exact position you move the lathe to. If you don't have that capability, you could end up with misalignment of the centers...your lathe's base can and will bend.

Steve Schlumpf
11-14-2008, 9:14 AM
Alan - this is becoming quite the chunk of machinery! Jim brings up some valid points about the cross member and your standing area - something to seriously consider!

Very nice so far! I imagine that with a little added weight you should have no problem at all with out of balance blanks!

Alan Trout
11-14-2008, 9:32 AM
Jim, thank you for bringing up those points. Many of your points have/are part of my design critiera. I did check the cross bar and with me standing in front of the lathe my belly (I have no big gut:D)is right against the bed I also were a size 13 shoe and I am standing comfortably. I think it is going to be fine.

As far as casters are concerned I am going with Footmaster casters basically the same units as the Zambus. I owned a machine shop for 8 years and then worked as a rep for a machine tool company for another 5 years I understand the importance of a stable machine tool.

The stand is unbelievably rigid. The reason I went with the large piece of square tubing for mounting the bed was so I would have a torsionaly ridged piece of steel that in fact was quite a bit more ridged than the lathe bed itself. That way the lathe bed in use would only have to carry the load of the tailstock and the banjo and not have to worry about the bed bending or twisting. Also that tube being hollow can be filled with sand to aid in damping of vibration as well as adding to mass.

Thanks,

Alan

Kevin McPeek
11-15-2008, 1:11 AM
Man, I'm a little jealous, and I can say that I have never said that about another DVR stand. Very Robust-ish looking.
I had something similar in mind when I built mine but I couldn't find a structural beam the right size. I kept my original leg design but built a top box instead of the beam.
I agree with Jim about rethinking that front bar. I raised mine up 8" and back 4" and it seems to work out pretty good