PDA

View Full Version : Black Walnut ????

Bob Weisner
05-30-2004, 8:07 PM
Hi:

I was driving past a local sawmill today and I saw 8 Black Walnut logs that they had gotten in. The sawmill only sells rough cut green lumber. What would be a reasonable price to pay for Black Walnut that is green?

Thanks,

Bob

Todd Burch
05-30-2004, 8:18 PM
$1 a board foot.

Michael Cody
05-31-2004, 10:56 AM
Don't know where you are Bob, but around here in SW MI about 0.40$-0.50$ per bf would be common. Depends a lot on the folks you are dealing with. That is what I pay for White Oak 8/4 stuff I use for trailer beds and I have been quoted the same price for Maple green in 5/4. Since you can't swing a dead cat by the tail w/o hitting a walnut tree in my region I expect they will be the same plus no one seems to want walnut wood. (Me I have a dozen or more in my yard that I want to cut down -- what a mess in the fall, not to mention walnut kills everything else around them).

It doesn't hurt to ask ever, worse they will say is that they won't sell for a price you are willing to pay...

Dan Mages
06-01-2004, 9:16 AM
Since you can't swing a dead cat by the tail w/o hitting a walnut tree in my region I expect they will be the same plus no one seems to want walnut wood.

Swinging dead cats?? hahahaha... thanks for the laugh there.