PDA

View Full Version : Tenoning Jigs

Erik Oerter
11-13-2008, 8:03 PM
I just picked up the Rockler ~$90 tenoning jog and it is kind of a POS. Not very rigid and generally not impressive.

Is there any difference between this jig and the more expensive Delta or maybe others?

Thanks.

Ben Davis
11-13-2008, 8:05 PM
The old Delta jig that I've used is ROCK solid. The thing weighs better part of 10 pounds I'm sure.

glenn bradley
11-13-2008, 8:39 PM
I got this one from Rockler. Goes on sale frequently. Said Rockler on the box but was packed with Jet documentation. The instructions were horrific but once I figured it out setup was OK. The stop allen screw was too short to do any good on my saw so a trip to the BORG took care of that.

The miter bar on this one and another brand (Delta IIRC) that I compared it to side by side have no adjustment for width so some metal HVAC tape set the fit in the slot. As Ben said; weighs about 10lbs and is solid as a rock. I couldn't flex this thing if I tried. I have no complaints with it.

Mike Henderson
11-13-2008, 8:43 PM
I have the same one from Rockler as Glenn and it's good.

Mike

Dewey Torres
11-13-2008, 9:26 PM
I have this one and if you are looking for solid... this is it. Griz builds these very similarly to the Jet, Delta and other brands for for cheaper. I couldn't be more pleased. Scroll down and it looks as if others are pleased as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H7583-Tenoning-Jig/dp/B000AJ7V1M/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1226629309&sr=8-1

Rick Fisher
11-13-2008, 10:03 PM
I have the heavier of the Delta's. Its rock solid, but I dont use it.

I use the table saw to make a cut and the router table to clean away the material.

Neal Clayton
11-14-2008, 1:04 AM
i have the delta as well. no complaints, other than the set screws you adjust for miter slot slop being a bit tedious to set up. would be nice if they used incra style wheel adjustment instead.

Michael N Taylor
11-14-2008, 8:07 AM
I was in Lowe's the other day and they had the Delta for $114.00, it was the model Fine Woodworking chose as the best when they did their comparison test.

Rod Sheridan
11-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Eric, when I cut tenons on the TS I used the Delta jig.

The one I have is about 12 years old, and doesn't have an adjustment for guide bar fit.

I shimmed it with foil tape, and it worked well.

I don't use it now because I could never come up with a blade guard design that was practical, so I now make tenons on the shaper.

Regards, Rod.

Marcus Ward
11-14-2008, 4:37 PM
I'm going to give you the expensive but, to me at least, better answer.

Cut them on a bandsaw. I got rid of my table saw and I cut all my tenons on a bandsaw now and I get closer to final size easier, with less trouble, and they go a LOT faster than chucking them all up in the jig and messing with the cut clearance and all that.

David DeCristoforo
11-14-2008, 7:01 PM
The new ones all leave something to be desired. The "old" CI Delta jig with the big old chrome handles... weighed a ton. That was a good jig. You can still find them used but I have not seen anything "new" to compare.

This is what I'm talkin' about....
http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=8150